collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I'm doing now, man, for more years than I know. They played it like that in the shanties and in their juke joints, and nobody paid it no mind 'til I goosed it up. I got it from them. Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now, and I said if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I'd be a music man like nobody ever saw - Elvis Presley, 1956, Last Train to Memphis

Author Topic: 14 vs. 12 fret L-00s  (Read 1743 times)

Ignatznochops

14 vs. 12 fret L-00s
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:45:51 AM »
I'm looking at several 1930's Gibson L-00s from the early to late '30s. Do any of you have opinions as to the tonal differences between the 12 and 14 fret versions of these instruments?

Thanks in advance.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: 14 vs. 12 fret L-00s
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 08:34:07 PM »
...essentially, assuming you're comparing mahogany sides and back and spruce top construction, the major structural difference between the two that may have the most effect on sound would be the bridge placement ... on the 12-fret, the bridge is further away from the sound hole and closer to the end which centers it more into the middle of the lower bout ... the 14 fretter has the bridge moved up closer to the sound hole ... in my experience the 12 frets are more scarce and it may be tough to A/B 12 vs. 14, even at large guitar shows or vintage shops ... if you search the forum, you'll find more discussion on these ... bottom line is 'sound' of a guitar is a very personal choice, and it helps to be able to play quite a few before settling on one you like ... I've owned a few each of the 12 and 14 fret over the years, but stick w/ a particular 12 from the early 30's, although I've played some really sweet 14 fretters in shops and at shows recently ... good luck w/ your search...

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal