collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday night is your big night. Everybody used to fry up fish and have one hell of a time. Find me playing till sunrise for 50 cents and a sandwich. And be glad of it. And they really liked the low-down blues - Muddy Waters

Author Topic: Johnny Shines  (Read 6438 times)

Offline alyoung

Re: Johnny Shines
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 05:53:30 AM »
I sat within a foot of he and Robert Lockwood when they played London's 100 Club in October 1979. Didn't speak with him but he had a novel way of dealing with a heckler, something along these lines:

Heckler: Johnny Shines you're a sexist

Shines: Silence

Heckler: Johnny Shines you're a sexist

Shines: Texist, Texist, I'm not from Texas.

It would have been fairly close to this time -- probably earlier in 1979 -- that I saw Johnny Shines playing in Sydney, Australia. During a pause while he tuned his guitar, some idiot in the audience shouted out "What about some Robert Johnson". Shines looked up and stared coldly in the direction from which the voice came for what seemed like an eternity as the hall fell into complete silence. Then he spoke. "What about some John Shines," he said.   

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »

It would have been fairly close to this time -- probably earlier in 1979 -- that I saw Johnny Shines playing in Sydney, Australia. During a pause while he tuned his guitar, some idiot in the audience shouted out "What about some Robert Johnson". Shines looked up and stared coldly in the direction from which the voice came for what seemed like an eternity as the hall fell into complete silence. Then he spoke. "What about some John Shines," he said.   

Alan, this is kind of circular, hope you don't mind, when I heard you tell that story a while back somewhere (Java Jive? GANZ? My living room?) it so struck me I posted it on here as a quote for the quote generator, you may see it come around. I gave the venue proper provenance, though I think I left out your name for privacy purposes, since I hadn't asked permission. Since you've gone public on it we may update the quote's attribution.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »
Probably your living room ... it's not one I think I've ever told at a venue or on stage. But I'm quite happy to be attributed. I haven't seen the quote on the generator yet; apols for the duplication --I've just being going thu the forum tags looking at items of particular interest and the post on John Shines (which, BTW, was how he referred to himself - not Johnny) from Bunker Hill caught my interest.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 05:08:42 AM »
I wish I could recall the exact exchange that evening at the 100 Club. I know Chris Smith was present and he has a far better recall than I of such. I'll run it past him.

Offline jostber

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
Fascinating stories on Shines, thanks. Hopefully more will come. I have not heard this Shines album. Is this a good one?

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »
I recently purchased this disc. It was the only Johnny shines album that I didn't own on CD. I must say that it's his worst album. However, considering the man's brilliant output, the disc in question is well worth purchasing. He just seems like he wasn't intent on picking the best song selection available. Perhaps the reason for this is due to the fact that he wasn't intending to record an album. I'd have to check the liner notes, but I'm pretty sure that this CD was never issued on record, and that it's a combination of two short recording sessions that Johnny did in the 1970s. He seems to forget the words to one of his best tunes, two steps to hell. Well, whether it is one of his best or not is obviously just my opinion, but it's certainly a tune that was recorded with quite vivid lyrics on at least two other albums of Johnny's. I believe that the two other albums were back to the country, with assistance from to guitar players, andsnooky pryor, and the disc that contains crying black angel and some Robert Johnson material. Sorry to say that the name of the second disc escapes me at the moment. Anyway, worried blues ain't bad contains a cover of a famous tune that was popularized by Bob wills, as well as a blind lemon Jefferson cover and an interesting song that is Johnny's re-creation of a slavery time song. While this disc is the least essential of Johnny shines, it's still worth picking up on Amazon.com for nine or $10.

Please excuse my or rent this grammar. I am using a speech to text program in order to avoid aggravating my carpal tunnel syndrome.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 03:36:03 AM »
AfaIk "Worried Blues Ain't Bad" (Labor CD 7011 1995 = Blues Alliance CD 1996) was first issued 1974 as "Johnny Shines: Country Blues" on Stony Plain 1005 (Ca) and XTRA 1142 (UK)

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
I stand corrected! Thank you for jogging my memory. I think the album comes from two separate recordings that were done in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

Offline jostber

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 08:04:19 AM »
Thanks. Might check out this one. Interesting that Shines recorded this in Edmonton, Canada. Was other blues men recorded there?

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
I have no idea if any other bluesmen recorded  in Edmonton. Maybe Louisiana red.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal