collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm so blue, my house got washed away. And I'm crying 'How long 'fore another payday? - Barbecue Bob Hicks, Mississippi Heavy Water Blues

Author Topic: Blind Lemon Jefferson cd on Pristine Audio  (Read 1380 times)

Offline rjtwangs

Blind Lemon Jefferson cd on Pristine Audio
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
Has anyone heard this cd? I have had my cd for a week now and I really like it. It's great to hear his guitar so much clearer than on the JSP box. Any other opinions??

RJ

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Blind Lemon Jefferson cd on Pristine Audio
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »
How much better is it RJ? 10% 50%? Is the voice clearer as well? I've deduced that part of Andrew Rose's process must be to separate voice and instruments and work on them individually, if such a thing is possible. that would account for the greater sense of vocal definition and voice-instrument separation I heard on the Robert Johnson tracks. Chris Albertson was evidently negatively impressed by the Bessie Smith cuts however.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »
I think that the guitar and vocals on "That Crawlin' Baby Blues" and "Bad Luck Blues" on the Pristine Audio disc are a lot better than I've heard on other discs. However, I'm just going by the minute-long samples on the website. Other songs on the Pristine Audio disc don't sound particularly wonderful to me. On "Wartime Blues", it was difficult for me to make out the guitar work which adds an ominous feel to the song. Since I don't play music, I'm using the word "ominous" in place of the correct musical terminology.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
Ok, now I've had some time with the new cd and I think it is a definite improvement. I'm not sure what others don't like about what Mr Rose is doing, but since none of us were there, any improvement is a bonus as far as I am concerned. I have never heard any of the original records so I don't know either whats missing or what may have been added?? All I can say, Mr O'Muck, is I think it is a much better listen all the way around. If some tracks sound better than others, I assume that it is a result of the sources that Mr Rose is working with. Has anyone else heard the cd?? I do believe that it is a definite improvement and I look forward to his work on the Blind Blake material.

RJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal