collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hipsters, flipsters and finger-poppin' daddies: knock me your lobes - Lord Buckley

Author Topic: Help with figuring something out  (Read 530 times)

Offline Gourd_44

• Howdy!
Help with figuring something out
« on: May 03, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but here goes nothing. I've been lurking around weenie for the past year or so, and I keep seeing this "pitch" thing popping up, is it referring to the pitch of the singing? Am I missing something? 

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Help with figuring something out
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 11:46:09 AM »
Hi Gourd_44,
Yes, "pitch", as it appears in tables showing what playing position a guitarist played a song in, showcases the possible difference between the key in which a rendition sounded, and was sung, and the position that the guitarist used to play the song. A couple of examples may help to clarify the distinction.
   * A guitarist who played a song in Spanish tuning, tuned to an Open G chord, at concert pitch, but capoed to the fifth fret, would be classified as playing the song in Spanish tuning, but with a "pitch" or "key" of C, by virtue of being capoed to the fifth fret.
   * A guitarist in standard tuning, at concert pitch, capoed to the sixth fret, but playing out of E position, which means fingering an E chord as it is played at the base of the neck, would be classified as playing in E position, standard tuning, but at a "pitch" or "key" of Bb.

I hope this answers your question.

All best,
Johnm 

Tags: theory/analysis 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal