collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You can jive me, baby, but I don't believe a thing you say. You just a confidencin' woman and wants to have your way. - Clifford Gibson, "Jive Me Blues"

Author Topic: Dave Van Ronk Tunings  (Read 13616 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Dave Van Ronk Tunings
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2022, 10:51:38 AM »
Hi David: I did the standard searches before posting. I went though Stefan Wirz's Dave Van Ronk page, but didn't see the song. I assumed you had too. I guess I should have posted that I didn't see it listed as it would have saved John the time and trouble.

Dave was a relatively young man when he died at age 65. Since he taught the song, I thought he may have recorded it on a "student tape" for reference -- or perhaps he may have recorded it in the studio, but it was never released. If so, I thought Elijah might know.

I think it belongs in the category of the great intangibles of life. Perhaps he thought of doing something more with "The Katoomba Rumba," but like a lot of things, it just was not to be.

Offline davidbeinct

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 04:06:00 AM »
Hi David: I did the standard searches before posting. I went though Stefan Wirz's Dave Van Ronk page, but didn't see the song. I assumed you had too. I guess I should have posted that I didn't see it listed as it would have saved John the time and trouble.

Dave was a relatively young man when he died at age 65. Since he taught the song, I thought he may have recorded it on a "student tape" for reference -- or perhaps he may have recorded it in the studio, but it was never released. If so, I thought Elijah might know.

I think it belongs in the category of the great intangibles of life. Perhaps he thought of doing something more with "The Katoomba Rumba," but like a lot of things, it just was not to be.
Hi Stuart, I did not do the standard searches, other than just using Google and the various spellings of “Katoomba” and “Rumba” that I could think of. Your post is the first time I came across Dave Wirz site. There’s a wealth of information there for sure, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2022, 10:41:29 AM »
Hi Stuart, I did not do the standard searches, other than just using Google and the various spellings of “Katoomba” and “Rumba” that I could think of. Your post is the first time I came across Dave Wirz site. There’s a wealth of information there for sure, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

You're welcome, David, but thanks should go to John Miller as he was the first to post that he checked Stefan Wirz's site which contains a wealth of information. As for searching, I didn't want to come off as patronizing or suggesting a person be told things they already know. It's the internet and misunderstandings abound. I agree that it's more efficient to simply ask people who may know the answer without wasting time reinventing the wheel (--or reinventing the flat tire in my case). I do it all the time, so you're not alone.

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2023, 09:42:16 AM »
Alas, one of the songs Dave did that wasn't discussed was "Ain't No Grave Can Keep My Body Clean."  I wonder if anyone knows the tuning for it?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2023, 01:22:28 PM »
Hi EyesNotChops,
I believe the song is "Ain' No Grave Can Hold My Body Down". Dave Van Ronk played it in C position standard tuning, capoed up.

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2023, 07:26:12 PM »
Thank you

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal