collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Kiss me dear till I feel the string, make me want to shake that thing. Give me everything and how - if you are man, then show it now - Mary Dixon, Papa You Got Everything

Author Topic: Tunes You're Listening To  (Read 28139 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Tunes You're Listening To
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
As soon as the juke went down I rushed out and bought all the contemporary Sony/BMG product I could get my hands on. Mariah, Brittney, I couldn't give my money to the store clerk hand fast enough. Thanks SoundExchange, I didn't know what I was missing.  ::)

Seriously, I stumbled on Memphis Minnie's Killer Diller From The South today while ipod shuffling, very infectious, had to play it three times.

Offline natterjack

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
 With the weenie juke and my ipod going down on the same day, I'm not listening to a great deal at the moment :'(

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 01:52:28 PM »
On the CD front I?ve finally found a copy of Allen Lowe?s 9CD monster anthology ?American Pop: From Minstrel to Mojo: On Record, 1893-1946,? which I?ll devour over the coming weeks. Lately Josh White?s Beloved Comrade and Strange Fruit have been regular visitors to the old turntable. The former having a topical edge given the recent blip in Anglo-Russian relations, and the latter proving very poignant when reading Michael Gray's chapter on lynchings.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »
I haven't purchased this one yet, but the 30-second samples are enough to make me want to.
(I've had my eye on it for quite some time.)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 02:50:40 PM »
Good choice, Calvin.  The first five tracks alone are worth the price of the CD.  Lofton's version of "Brown Skin Girls" has been one of my favorites for the last 39 years.  Lofton was a great, if sometimes sloppy, pianist, and an underrated singer.  His tracks with Big Bill Broonzy on guitar are just superb.   

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 03:10:26 PM »
Today my favorites have been "Wandering Blues" by Gene Campbell (the Document CD), "I'm A Rattlesnakin' Daddy" by Blind Boy Fuller from the JSP set, and "It's Tight Like That," Tampa Red and  Georgia Tom, from the Blues Classics set.

Bottom line, though, I miss Weenie Juke!

Mike

Offline CF

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »
Not country blues sorry but Lonnie Johnson's album with Canadian trad dixieland band Jim McHarg & the Metro Stompers (good album) . . . esp. 'China Boy' which I've come to realize I completely ripped off with one of my own tunes . . . oops!
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 06:29:51 PM »
Good choice, Calvin.  The first five tracks alone are worth the price of the CD.  Lofton's version of "Brown Skin Girls" has been one of my favorites for the last 39 years.  Lofton was a great, if sometimes sloppy, pianist, and an underrated singer.  His tracks with Big Bill Broonzy on guitar are just superb.   

Yep, ya gotta love that barrelhouse boogie-blues.

And again I agree Lofton has a great voice, one of my favorite blues voices. (He's especially good on "Strut That Thing" and "I Don't Know")

Say... I remember a time when I had about a hundred more posts than you.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 06:32:03 PM »

Say... I remember a time when I had about a hundred more posts than you.
[/quote]

Or am I going crazy?

I don't remember, because I see you were registered about 2 years before me.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »
A tune from one of my favorite barrelhouse bluesmen, who sounds to be classically trained, Herve Duerson.

"Avenue Strut"

HankChinaski

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 08:49:40 PM »
"Boll Weevil"  Blind Willie McTell.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 02:03:17 PM »
"Ecstatic Rag"- Alonzo Yancey

It's a truly wonderful song, closer to brother Jimmy Yancey's sound than Alonzo's.

(For those who don't know Alonzo recorded 4 sides in 1943 and passed away soon after.)

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »
I've been listening to Tampa Red's "Don't You Leave Me Here."  While the CD the "Guitar Wizard" has been in my collection for a long time, I haven't really listened to it until recently.  There are some fine blues on that CD, and in particular "Don't You Leave Me Here" really grabbed my attention because of the melodic and lyrical content.  I love how he says "cool can beer."  Another song added to my repertoire.  I don't really play in vestapol much, but every once in a while you've got to experiment and push yourself.
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 12:35:15 PM »
Bon Bons, Chocolates and Chewing Gum - Josh White (Apollo)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 02:27:31 PM »
Great call on the tampa red song- I adore "if you want me to love you too" on that album, which is is pretty unusal- but the track Coyote refers to deserves more of my attention.

Ive spent a lot of time with my Blind Blake set of late- especially "you're gonna quit me"- my version heading for the back porch as soon as I can get to grips with singing over that syncopated riff. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal