collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We can talk about him like a dog now he's dead - Alice Stuart, on the cantankerous nature of Jesse Fuller, Port Townsend 99

Author Topic: New Mandolin Blues cd - KID MAN BLUES - Bert Deivert  (Read 1264 times)

Offline MuddyBuddy

• Bert Deivert - blues mandolin
New Mandolin Blues cd - KID MAN BLUES - Bert Deivert
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:21:20 AM »
Hi Weenie Folks!

Just thought I would let you know that my new album was released 3 days ago.

Available as a download at CDBABY, http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bertdeivert1
There are samples of songs at the CDBABY site to listen to.
Also, if you would rather have a physical cd, with pictures and the 12 page booklet, you can email me at bert(at)deivert.com

Focus on blues mandolin playing, and my main influences are Yank Rachell and Carl Martin.

thanks!
BERT

Here is a little info.

I have wonderful friends who have helped me out on this project, musicians from the US like blues guitarist and singer Memphis Gold out of Washington, DC, delta drummer Sam Carr, legendary banjo player Tom Paley, Mississippi bluesman Bill Abel, NYC blues guy now in Sweden - Brian Kramer, German ace fingerpicker and virtuoso pianist Willie Salomon, Swedish musicians Janne Zander, ragtime whiz Lasse Johansson, Yonder?s harmonica virtuoso Mats Qwarfordt, Swedish Chicago style blues ace Sven Zetterberg, and Swedish blues fiddlers Nina Perez and Staffan Jonsson. And last but not least, a gang of enthusiastic and brilliant musicians in Thailand with whom I recently spent two months playing and recording in Bangkok - Dulyasit (Pong) Srabua, Chai Blues, Ped, Gunny, Wan, Tony, and many more. Pong and I won the coveted KOM CHAD LEUK award for the best instrumental of 2009 in Thailand, with a bluesy Thai folk theme featuring a duo of mandolin and slide guitar, Nongharn Blues. And fittingly this track closes the album. With a cover shot outside the ADHERE 13th blues bar in Bangkok where artists such as Charlie Musselwhite have played alongside Thai musicians, this album is a celebration of musical collaboration that crosses borders, styles, language, and genres.

This recording is not meant to be just a solo vehicle for myself, but rather as a showcase for this fine music that is being made all over the world, and great musicians who are not recognized by a larger audience."

Offline Adam Franklin

Re: New Mandolin Blues cd - KID MAN BLUES - Bert Deivert
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 05:52:33 AM »
Just got this cd (and Bert's previous disc), it's excellent.

Steeped in tradition, yet branching out in a fresh way. Well worth checking out.

Looking forward, Adam.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:04:52 AM »
Got mine too. It's great!

Offline MuddyBuddy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
thanks guys for the kind words.

There are some full tracks here on sound cloud to listen to.

http://soundcloud.com/bertdeivert/sets/kid-man-blues-bert-deivert/

Two new reviews too on the website.
http://www.deivert.com/blues/REVIEWS.html

cheers
BERT

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:45:05 AM »
I will be reviewing the album for Blues in Britain magazine. Have heard it a couple of times and it's a delight from beginning to end. Buy this record!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
Bert--What is the timeline for having the physical CD available at CDBaby?

Offline MuddyBuddy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
Stuart

I am not going to stock the physical cd at CDBABY, just too expensive and a hassle to send to the US.
You can order directly from me instead. 16 Euros to my PayPal account (bert@deivert.com) including postage anywhere in the world.

Cheers
BERT

Offline MuddyBuddy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »
a couple of new review in....

Source: EYE ON MAGAZINE, ITALY 
Date: 10/2011
Writer: Mario Bartilucci
(English translation - Daniel Alegi)

Review  Kid Man Blues  October 18th, 2011
It is once again a choral experience that Bert Deivert produces in this new work that has just been released. Many of his friends are present as guest musicians on this album. On all these collaborations, the ones that stick out the most are those with Sam Carr, drummer, to whom this album is dedicated. Carr died in 2009 not long after the recordings were completed. He remains an undisputed legend, having played in the golden years of blues with musicians like Sonny Boy Williamson II, the legendary Jelly Roll Kings, Frank Frost, and Buddy Guy (to name only a few of the most significant ones from Chicago and Mississippi). He is a legend of contemporary blues.

Memphis Gold, Tom Paley, Bill Abel, Brian Kramer, Willie Salomon and Swedes Janne Zander, Lasse Johansson, Mats Qwarfordt, Sven Zetterberg, as well as Nina Perez, feature alongside the late Sam Carr. In this new and exciting journey, Bert arrives at his tenth release. "This recording is not meant to be just a solo vehicle for myself, but rather as a showcase for this fine music that is being made all over the world, and great musicians who are not recognized by a larger audience." is how Bert describes his project.

Another interesting aspect is the participation of the Thai "gang" as Bert likes to call them, consisting of musicians such as Dulyasit ?Pong? Srabua, Chai Blues, Ped, Gunny, Wan, and Tony, with whom Bert has performed numerous times during trips to Thailand. He has also earned an award and recognition by local critics there.

The album is a true tribute to Delta blues, the traditional kind, but also enhanced by his mastery of the mandolin. Mandolin is once again featured as a key instrument in this new material, confirming all his research work carried out over the years on blues standards, especially the playing of the legendary Yank Rachell and Carl Martin. All of this elevates this American bluesman to one of the few players of note on this instrument. The mandolin is less common now, but was in vogue in the recordings of the early 20th century and has also characterized the entire production of precursors of this genre.

The album contains new and unique covers of songs such as Goin 'Down South by RL Burnside, Cypress Grove by Skip James, the traditional Diddie Wah Diddie, Kid Man Blues, the title track by Carl Martin, Special Agent by Sleepy John Estes and Death Letter by Son House, but also has two original songs, Lula and Nongharn Blues, the latter co-written with Dulyasit Srabua. Another nice touch is the collection of photos in the the booklet accompanying the CD, that portrays the musicians and their surroundings in Mississippi, Thailand and Europe -- in other words, the places where the CD, during its various phases, was conceived and recorded. Once again, this is quality blues and great music, characterized by tradition, but always taking a unique look at the "devil's music", thereby revitalizing and tracing an indelible link between the past and the present.

- Mario Bartilucci - http://www.eyeonmusica.it/tuesday-blues-n-6-bert-deivert-kid-man-blues-hard-danger/#more-7324

Source: V?rmlands Folkblad, Sweden
Date: 10/2011
Writer: Bj?rn Stefanson

Kid Man Blues - Bert Deivert 

...The new album is his tenth and feels just right with its semi-acoustic sound, and Deivert sings and plays better than ever. The songs are beautifully varied, with fastidiously chosen covers, and a total absence of all forms of blues clich?s, and alive, as if they were his own. In my opinion, this is Bert Deivert's best album to date.

- Bj?rn Stefanson

Offline BlueInGreen

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
I'm listening to the songs on SoundCloud. Beautiful music and great recording/mix. Nice!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal