collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Those who bite, shall be bitten - Kid Prince Moore, Bite Back Blues

Author Topic: Second player to record with a slide?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline -

Second player to record with a slide?
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:36:45 PM »
Anyone know who was the second, or thereabouts, player to record using a slide?

Most info states Sylvester Weaver as first then lists other well knowns who also played slide but they aren't in the same time period, 1923-24.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:09:25 PM by tomfeldmann »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Second player to record with a slide?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:23:45 AM »
Pretty sure there were Hawaiian slide recordings before Weaver (Sam Moore's "Chain Gang Blues" was around the same time but I think there are earlier ones), but in terms of country blues-type slide and without my B&GR handy I'm going to go out on a limb and say it might have been one of these in 1926:

Frank Hutchison doing "Train that Carried the Girl from Town"
Lemon's "Jack O'Diamonds"
Rev. Edward Clayborn's "Your Enemy Cannot Harm You"

Pretty much in 1924-early 1926 the only solo guitar blues types were Papa Charlie Jackson, Lonnie Johnson, a bit of Blind Lemon and a bit of Blind Blake -- I'm almost certainly forgetting someone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of the tunes above. Not coincidentally perhaps, at least "Train" and "Enemy" were big hits.
Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Second player to record with a slide?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »
Lemon's Jack o' Diamonds was c. May 1926. Clayborn's first recordings were December 1926. Frank Hutchison's Train That Carried the Girl From Town was September 28, 1926.

Lemon takes it so far, but Bo Weavil Jackson recorded You Can't Keep No Brown c. August 1926, so takes third place at this point.

I wonder whether there isn't someone accompanying a female singer earlier than these guys? Only one I can think of at the moment was Tampa Red backing Ma Rainey, and that was 1928.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal