collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you wanna go to Heaven around the great white throne, you'd better tend to your business and leave mine alone - Golden Gate Quartet, Every Time That I Feel The Spirit

Author Topic: Blind Boy Fuller  (Read 1990 times)

Offline unezrider

Blind Boy Fuller
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
hello friend,
in the thread about what cd's you're listening to, i noticed cool jack mentioned he had just started getting into blind boy fuller a lot, despite owning his cd's for some time.
it got me to thinking, as it took me awhile to get into fuller's music. now i think it's great. but initially i think i was led astray by a some disparaging quotes from rev. gary davis, about fuller & his music. (or lack there of).
personally i find fuller's music to be compelling. musically i find his arrangements inventive, & never boring. & he had a great singing voice that conveyed a real lively spirit.
anyone else go through this while getting into fuller's tunes?
(& sort of off topic - what kind of reso's was he playing? single cone, tricone, etc..?)
thanks,
chris
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:03:00 PM by Johnm »
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Michael Kuehn

Re: blind boy fuller
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »
Absolutely! I bought the JSP set, listened a bit, and though certain songs stood out, overall he didn't "grab" me right away. I went in with no preconceived notions, but it did take awhile. I think on my initial listening, I mistook his playing and arrangements for being a bit simple.... but how wrong I was. The more I listened, the more nuance I heard, and then when I tried playing some of his songs, and dissecting his music a bit, the true genius came through.

Blind Boy Fuller is now one of my favorite artists. Funny how that seems to have happened with others.

Mike

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »
Blind Boy Fuller has been one of my favorite artists for quite some time, second only to Big Bill Broonzy.

I have figured out how to play several of Blind Boy Fuller's less popular tunes and continue to be amazed by his playing ability every time I listen to him.

While his song topics may not be politically correct these days, there is some awesome playing going on...

Rev Gary Davis to this day does not thrill me, although it may be his voice that I can't seem to get past.

Dave

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »
It took me awhile to get into fuller's music... anyone else go through this while getting into fuller's tunes?

The first full LP by a single pre-war blues artist that I ever heard was Blues Classics 11, "Blind Boy Fuller", back around 1967.  By the end of the first side I was hooked.  Artists who it took me a while to appreciate:  Blind Lemon Jefferson, Leadbelly, and the Mississippi Sheiks. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal