collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
For decades, practically every big circus on the road had a black band and minstrel company attached to its sideshow, performing on the streets and inside the sideshow tent before people of all races, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and from the southern reaches of Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. During the 1910s, these companies constituted a significant pathway for the dissemination of ragtime, blues, and jazz." - Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff, Ragged But Right: Black Traveling Shows, "Coon Songs", And The Dark Pathway To Blues And Jazz

Author Topic: "St. Louis Tickle"  (Read 1090 times)

Offline eric

"St. Louis Tickle"
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:05:39 AM »
I had this 78 at one point

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:43:45 AM by Johnm »
--
Eric

Offline jtbrown

Re: "St. Louis Tickle"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »
That's great, Eric! Incidentally, the reason the label lists the composer as "Seymore" is that Bennett published the piece under the pseudonym "Barney & Seymore."

Here's another Ossman recording of the tune, also from 1906 but with a small orchestra accompanying. This one is taken from an Edison "Gold Moulded Record," which I believe refers to a cylinder rather than a disc.

DVR didn't learn it from either of the Ossman recordings, or from the sheet music, but from a recording of a player piano.

Todd
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:44:15 AM by Johnm »

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
 I'd like to make a recommendation.
If you can pick up a copy of the vinyl LP (never been reissued on CD, to the best of my knowledge), Kings Of The Ragtime Banjo, on Yazoo, it would be a great addition to any record collection

One side is Ossman, the other side, Fred Van Eps (Father of Jazz Guitarist, George Van Eps)

Every cut is a gem 

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:15:45 PM »
I thought I already posted but....for a great hillbilly version, check out the Humphries  Brothers.  I can't find it online and can't figure out how to shrink my MP3 down small enough to post here, but....it's great!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal