collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Up 'til then, the blues were only inside me. Blind Lemon was the first to 'let out' the blues - Roscoe Holcomb

Author Topic: SOTM 2017 June - Baby Please Don't Go  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: SOTM 2017 June - Baby Please Don't Go
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
Great topic and every version posted thus far is fantastic. Particularly enjoying George Herbert Moore, whom I haven't heard before. Anyone else hear a melodic similarity between Baby Please Don't Go and Another Man Done Gone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lignite

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
Thank you John. Unfortunately George Herbert Moore passed away over 10 years ago. He actually was a discovery of your old bandmate Frank Greathouse while he was living in Wilmington who produced two CDs for him. Here is a really good short film about Herbert that will give you a little more flavor of the man. 

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 06:55:44 PM »
Anyone else hear a melodic similarity between Baby Please Don't Go and Another Man Done Gone?

Absolutely, and I did look at incorporating this but had too much material and was madly trying to shorten it up. I had concluded that not only the lyrics differentiate it. The main thing I noticed is the way the syllables fall during the descending end part. The accents is usually longer, "I been All Night Long Coming Home..." 2 beats, so it's less staccato and that gives it a kinder, gentler sound.

To generalize further, it tends to be spoken out of an urban setting rather than from the weird isolation of a prison, in most versions. But I think you're right, it's a very close relative, and we should track down some versions of Another Man Done Gone for comparison.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:15:47 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »
Scratch,

Thinking about it, I realized later that I was thinking of "Don't You Leave Me Here" when I replied to your post, not, as you had suggested, "Another Man Done Gone". Both seem to be related to "Baby Please Don't Go".

As you say, "Another Man Done Gone" is close; it's prison song, with short, staccato syllables on the descent making it more punchy. I listened to both of them while researching the piece. It got pretty crazy trying to find any hard evidence of a connection beyond the basic delivery so I gave up on that and decided to focus on "Baby Please Don't Go"; I already had tons of material on that one song.

I hope people will feel free to explore the connections between the three songs, "Baby Please Don't Go", "Another Man Done Gone" and "Don't You Leave Me Here", musically and historically.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »
That's right, Rivers. Not the same song, but a similar and striking tune!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 03:55:32 AM »
And Pink Anderson

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 04:18:50 AM »
Nice version a la Tampa by Sam Montgomery. Nice 2nd guitar by "unk".

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
Hi all,
We've had many cases of videos being viewable in the U.S., but not elsewhere, and I think Phil's video of Sam Montgomery's version of "Baby, Please Don't Go" may be the first instance I can think of of a video viewable in Europe but not in the U. S.  Here is the same version in a video I think we can all watch.  And you're right, Phil, it is a beauty. 

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »
Hi all,
Re Prof Scratchy's observation on the similarity of the melody of "Baby Please Don't Go" to that of "Another Man Done Gone", here is Vera Hall's version of the latter song.

The melodies sure are similar.  It seems like the primary difference, at least as Vera Hall performed "Another Man Done Gone", is that "Baby Please Don't Go"'s phrasing is short-short-long, and "Another Man Done Gone"'s phrasing is short l--o--n--g.

All best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 04:29:49 AM »
Same song, updated lyrics, but what a driving performance with Sonny Boy blowing the harp to pieces.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 09:43:39 PM »
All these great versions that are showing up are blowing my mind, keep it up folks!

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
Thanks for putting this together Rivers. I'll admit I was able to cheat a bit by searching my google play files for versions. The one that stood out the most and that hasn't been shared yet is Butch Cage and Willie B. Thomas doing their version on 'Negro Country Jam Session' on Arhoolie.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »
Hi all,
Here is a version by Leroy Dallas that we had a while back in the Miller's Breakdown thread that I had completely forgotten about.  It's pretty darn cool, too.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »
I'll admit I was able to cheat a bit by searching my google play files for versions

Absolutely, I was able to cheat also, all my stuff is in iTunes (a mixed blessing). Plus web searches, how in the heck did we live before online searches? We can only hope the new idiot currently heading up the FCC doesn't get his way and destroyi internet neutrality. The Butch Cage and Willie B Thomas version is great.

Johnm, I really like that Leroy Dallas version. Broonzy's version also has that distinct but nicely handled change to IV for bars 5 thru 8. I will give this some serious listening and also check out your Breakdown post.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:39:30 AM by Rivers »

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »
One more Joe Williams version, this time with Williamson, Ransom Knowling and Judge Riley in 1945:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal