collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hammy Nixon: Well I know you can see better than I can. Sleepy John Estes: I'll ask Rachell, how do you feel Rachell? Yank Rachell: You don't need to see to play music. Sleepy John Estes: Well, now that's what I'm talking about...when I'm coughin' I create it out of my soul...Delmark records say, "We don't want any of that..good, right?...spoil it" - Yank Rachell's Tennessee Jug Busters conversation before Shout Baby Shout

Author Topic: Astrud Gilberto RIP  (Read 300 times)

Offline MarkC

Astrud Gilberto RIP
« on: June 10, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »
Astrud Gilberto died earlier this week. “The Girl from Ipanema,” on which she sang, helped boost the popularity of Bossa Nova (my father had the album - “Getz/Gilberto” when I was a kid).

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/astrud-gilberto-obituary-1234764496/

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Astrud Gilberto RIP
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 04:21:21 PM »
Thanks for the post. I saw the notice earlier in the week in the NYT. Here it is:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/06/arts/music/astrud-gilberto-dead.html

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline MarkC

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 08:32:58 PM »
Thanks for this Stuart. Sad that Brazil turned its back on her.

The article mentions the film “Black Orpheus/Orfeo Negro.” I first saw it in my teens on the local PBS station. Great film. Luiz Bonfa wrote “Mahna de Carnival” and “Samba de Orfeo,” both in the film (Antonio Carlos Jobim also wrote some of the music). The soundtrack got me hooked on the playing of Bonfa, who’s one of my favorite guitarists. Here are solo versions of Bonfa playing both songs:

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 12:25:32 PM »
Hi Mark: Thanks for the reminder about "Black Orpheus." It's been a while since I've watched it. The local library has the Criterion Collection DVD and a hold has been place. And thanks for the links to the Luiz Bofna songs. I plan on following up on his music as well.

I guess social psychologists would attribute her being rejected by her home country as a function of learned attitudes that were legitimized and mutually reinforced. Hard to figure since her music should have been the sole criterion on which she was judged. But what do I know?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 12:38:17 PM »
One thing I really liked about Astrud Gilberto's singing was her flat emotional affect. Her singing reminded me of Chet Baker's in that respect--they both sounded like they didn't know what the words meant. It's very refreshing to hear after a lot of hyper-dramatic, emotionally over-the-top renditions of what were essentially Pop love songs.

Offline Lignite

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 07:05:31 PM »
I guess it was called being "ultra cool."

Tags: Bossa Nova 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal