collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
One day a man wearing a Western-style hat with a red bandanna around his neck walked into our store and announced that he was Jelly Roll Morton, the greatest stomp and blues piano player this side of New Orleans. Cassius Clay had nothing on Jelly Roll! - Lester Melrose, comparing Jelly roll Morton to a young (pre name change) Mohammed Ali

Author Topic: The Sherlock of Shellac: John Tefteller (YouTube Video)  (Read 821 times)

Offline Hamhound

Re: The Sherlock of Shellac: John Tefteller (YouTube Video)
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2023, 04:28:40 AM »
Thanks Stuart.

It's interesting, but - as I decided at around the 19 min mark - peripherally interesting.
I have a couple of thousand or so records, and I love em - but I don't love them quite enough perhaps, as some do - and on reflection, I would hate to earn my living buying and selling them.

Nevertheless - what John Tefteller has done with his own blues 78s in transcribing them and reissuing with his calendars is just the most awesome achievement and a kind of 'reverse' of the hoarding collector mentality in some ways - it's totally laudable.
Instead of being all like "Ah but my copy of Fence Breakin’ Yellin’ Blues sounds better than than all the others you've ever heard, so lucky me" - instead he's been like, "And.... here it is on the new CD - Enjoy, for only a few bucks".

And that has just been an awesome approach he's taken there
And I think the blues listening world owes him a debt of gratitude.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: The Sherlock of Shellac: John Tefteller (YouTube Video)
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 05:07:33 PM »
And I think the blues listening world owes him a debt of gratitude.

Absolutely.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal