collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I believe you got ways like a passenger train, when one gettin' off the other one gettin' on - Blind Boy Fuller, Passenger Train Woman

Author Topic: Favorite singers  (Read 36890 times)

Offline MarkC

Re: Favorite singers
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2006, 06:59:53 AM »
Thanks MTJ3 & Bunker for the tips on other Chippie recordings. Looks like the Circle label recordings from that era are available at www.jazzology.com. I don't see her name listed, but hopefully she's on one of the discs.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2006, 11:47:22 AM »
Thanks MTJ3 & Bunker for the tips on other Chippie recordings. Looks like the Circle label recordings from that era are available at www.jazzology.com. I don't see her name listed, but hopefully she's on one of the discs.
I have just played an old Riverside 10 inch LP that contains all the Chippie Hill Circle 78s and none of the songs on that contain the wonderful couplet you quote. What bugs me is that I know it so well. Could they come from one of her pre-war efforts? You are gonna have to dig out that German LP you own and put me out of my misery..... ;D

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »
Nice to see some discussion on Chippie Hill, I've always been a big fan. I couldn't seem to find the song in question but did stumble upon some fine tracks she did in 1947. The tracks can be found "Jazzin' The Blues 1943-1952" on Document. These are live cuts from a "This Is Jazz" broadcast from 1947. They feature some hot playing by Wild Bill Davis, Danny Barker and others. Liner note writer Steven Tracy doesn't seem to be too impressed by these sides but a few are quite good including "Blues Improvisation" and "Lonesome Road." Attached is the relevant section on Chippie Hill:

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2006, 12:07:04 PM »
I have just played an old Riverside 10 inch LP that contains all the Chippie Hill Circle 78s and none of the songs on that contain the wonderful couplet you quote. What bugs me is that I know it so well. Could they come from one of her pre-war efforts? You are gonna have to dig out that German LP you own and put me out of my misery..... ;D
I shall put myself out of my own misery. It was a Circle 78 and one which doesn't appear on that compilation but another. The title is Charleston Blues and the tune/format reminds me of the Jimmy Rushing-Count Basie 1939 "hit", Goin' To Chicago. But I'm getting sidetracked.

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2006, 02:07:49 PM »
It was a Circle 78 and one which doesn't appear on that compilation but another. The title is Charleston Blues[.]

"Charleston Blues" appears on the Document CD featuring Montana Taylor and Mr. Freddie Shayne.  She recorded the song in 1946 with Freddie Shayne on piano, Lee Collins on trumpet and Baby Dodds on drums.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2006, 03:19:51 AM »
"Charleston Blues" appears on the Document CD featuring Montana Taylor and Mr. Freddie Shayne.  She recorded the song in 1946 with Freddie Shayne on piano, Lee Collins on trumpet and Baby Dodds on drums.
Lee Collins, eh? That rang a bell in my grey matter and sent me to my bookshelves. Here's an excerpt from his autobiography - Oh Didn't He Ramble (Illinois UP, 1974)

"...but I took off again in 1950 to go with a very good five-piece band that the pianist Art Hodes took into Frank Holzfeind's Blue Note. We had Zutty Singleton on drums, Georg Brunis on trombone, and Pee Wee Russell on clarinet. We stayed there fifteen weeks, playing to a packed house every night. Besides the band, the Blue Note bill featured Chippie Hill. We all liked Chippie, but she sure did give us a rough time!

Sarah Vaughan came to the Blue Note while we were there. One night after finishing her song, Chippie stumbled on the way down from the bandstand, and Sarah went over to help her. Well, did Chippie do some cursing! One thing she told Sarah was that she wasn't too old to get off the bandstand by herself, and she did not need any damn help. I wanted to laugh but didn't dare to because I would have got the worst cursing out that you ever heard. I didn't feel like listening to Chippie call me all kinds of bad names.

Sarah had a private dressing room, as all the stars do. Chippie didn't have one, though, so she used to go in Sarah's dressing room to change. One night Sarah's manager ordered Chippie to stay out of there. That made her mad. Frank Holzfeind finally had a dressing room fixed up for Chippie in order to keep peace.

On our closing night at the Blue Note, Zutty and I took Chippie to the Club Delisa, where she had worked years before. Zutty was about to go into the band at Ruth and Bill Reinhardt's Jazz Limited, and I was going to work at the Bee Hive. On our way out we tried to talk Chippie into staying in Chicago. Zutty and I both liked Chippie and, for some reason or other, felt as if we ought to look after her, even though she had been around a long, long time. But she was determined to go back to New York, and there was no way of stopping her. When we got to the Club Delisa, Chippie hurried on ahead of us. Just as she got to the middle of the street a cab struck her and knocked her down. Zutty and I ran over to where she was and picked her up. Instead of telling us how bad she was hurt, she was giving the cab driver hell for getting her coat dirty, saying that she had just got it out of the cleaners. We thought that she was hurt, so we took her to a doctor. The poor cab driver was scared to death; Zutty and I were both big men, and I guess he figured we were detectives."

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2006, 11:25:53 AM »
Hi all,
I just recently picked up the JSP "Atlanta Blues" set and have really been enjoying the singing of Julius Daniels.  I had not heard most of his material before and hadn't realized what a high percentage of it is religious, and how much slide he played.  His duet sound with Bubba Lee Torrence was beautifully worked out, too, but I'm primarily enjoying his singing.  It reminds me a little bit of Alec Seward, in his tone.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2006, 11:54:53 PM »
His duet sound with Bubba Lee Torrence was beautifully worked out, too...
I wouldn't mind betting that was a contributing factor for Ninety-Nine Year Blues being selected by Harry Smith for inclusion in his 1952 Folkways set, The Anthology of American Folk Music. Any number from that first session fit the "raison d'etre" of AAFM so well.

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2006, 08:06:04 AM »
Back on the subject of tracking down another possible source for the reissue of Chippie Hill's "Charleston Blues," a Document Records catalogue lists a number of "essential" recordings to complement the Document CDs.  One is Mutt Carey & Lee Collins, Complete Recorded Works (1946), American Music AMCD-72.  "Charleston Blues" is among the titles by Chippie Hill on what appears to be the Lee Collins "side."

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »
Son House and Charlie Patton have gotta my 2 favorite singers of country blues, followed by Blind Willie Johnson, Willie Brown, Louise Johnson etc etc etc

other singers include:
Roscoe Holcomb, Amede Adroin, Dock Boggs
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline MarkC

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2006, 02:04:50 PM »
MTJ3 --

Thanks for bringing up the Chippie Hill/Carey/Collins recordings again. I found it on the Jazzology site (I tried searching for Chippie on this site earlier, but only the Montana Taylor recordings came up). I'm sure this includes the version I have. I just ordered it.

Bunker --
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the German compilation. It is indeed "Charleston Blues." I did finally find the collection, but it has no information on the recording at all, and only had that one song by Chippie. (We're in the middle of what should have been a minor rennovation at my house, which has turned into the project from Hell, and I couldn't access my records for awhile.)

Offline Temple

• Howdy!
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2006, 09:56:19 PM »
She comes on the scene a bit later, but what about Sister Rosetta Tharpe?  That lady's got some attitude!

Temple

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2006, 02:33:46 AM »
She comes on the scene a bit later, but what about Sister Rosetta Tharpe?  That lady's got some attitude!
I'll say she did. She was the first "gospel" artist to become part of my "blues collection" as well as being the first I ever saw perform.

Anybody who had their wedding ceremony take place at the Griffin Stadium, Washington (and got Decca to record it) had attitude..and some. :)

I can't wait to read Gayle Wald's upcoming biography of Tharpe.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2006, 02:42:05 AM »
Gayle Wald? Is there really a researcher named that in a field that already has Gayle Dean Wardlowe and Elijah Wald? Sorry if it was just my ignorance that caused me to find that amusing. -G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2006, 05:46:03 AM »
Gayle Wald? Is there really a researcher named that in a field that already has Gayle Dean Wardlowe and Elijah Wald? Sorry if it was just my ignorance that caused me to find that amusing. -G-
Not at all, yes there is such a person. She is author of Crossing the Line: Racial Passing in 20th-Century US Literature and Culture (Duke University Press, 2000). Gayle started work on SRT book three or so years back, the title is "Shout, Sister, Shout!: The Untold Story of Rock-and-Roll Trailblazer Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Beacon Press). I think she was hoping for Jan/Feb 2007 publication. But we digress....let normal service now resume.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal