collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Take a butcher knife, cut off your head, send me a telegram that your body's dead. If you want me to love you that's what you've got to do - Tampa Red, If You Want Me To Love You

Author Topic: Alberta  (Read 3338 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Alberta
« on: August 14, 2004, 09:21:10 AM »
A little 12-string madness...? Kim says this sounded better & more relaxed at Clifftop...? I dunno - I find Leadbelly really hard to play.? It's not so much the notes, but the intensity and the singing.? Jeez...

The song clocks in at just over 5 minutes (sorry - lots of verses) and was just a bit too big to post here.? What I've posted is a streaming link to the file on my website.? If for some reason you need to d/l the song and can't figure out how to locate the file, either pm me or send me an email and I'll send you a link.

I used the new Fraulini for the song - I'll try and post something a little less manic next, so you can hear it a little better.? Playing this song is what sold me on the guitar, though - feels just right!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Alberta
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 12:19:28 PM »
Hi Frank, the link does not work for me, I get this in my browser:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:306,Frank Basile - Alberta (Lead Belly)
http://www.donegone.net/yd/sounds/alberta.mp3

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 12:39:34 PM »
Heh...  looks you're set up to treat .m3u files as plain text, so they show up in your browser.  You can associate .m3u files with Winamp (via Windows Explorer) and they'll start streaming auto-magically...

On the other hand, the url starting with http://www.donegone.net in your post should allow you to download the file directly.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 09:53:38 PM »
Yow. Nice job, Frank. You're working hard on this one, really keepin' up that great Leadbelly intensity. You and Alvin should get together, trade Leadbelly tunes!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 01:19:15 PM »
Thanks, u.b. - glad you like it.  It's a lot of fun to play, but it took me a while to figure out how the vocal fit in...  it was hard for me to work up the courage to sing it, since it's almost more like a field holler than a blues.  Listening to it again, I don't always 'get it', but it's fun & archaic sounding.

Offline jed

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 11:12:20 PM »
That sounds great, Frank.  The guitar is muscular and driving, but your vocal is what gets me.  While your guitar is like a train run amok through a field, the verses start in such a weird spot.  That's just a scary song.  Your bravery yields our reward.

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 06:58:38 AM »
That sounds great, Frank.  The guitar is muscular and driving, but your vocal is what gets me.  While your guitar is like a train run amok through a field, the verses start in such a weird spot.  That's just a scary song.  Your bravery yields our reward.

Cheers,
Jed

Well put, Jedster. This is the kind of Leadbelly tune that makes me think, "Oh, I get it," about Leadbelly fans. Perhaps it should be in another thread, but what are folks favorite Leadbelly CDs? I have a couple basic compilations (the one on Columbia and some other thing, plus the private party recording from 1948). I seem to recall a thumbs up for the later Library of Congress material.

Frank, have you heard Alvin Youngblood Hart do this on Down In the Alley?  He does a really nice version too, alvinized but very belly.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 10:59:06 AM »
That sounds great, Frank.? The guitar is muscular and driving, but your vocal is what gets me.? While your guitar is like a train run amok through a field, the verses start in such a weird spot.? That's just a scary song.? Your bravery yields our reward.

Whew - I guess I must be doing *something* right...? thanks, Jed!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal