collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Heeyy, careful man there's a beverage here - The Dude

Author Topic: Rolling Log - Lottie Kimbrough/Beaman - Maria Muldaur  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Lupara

Rolling Log - Lottie Kimbrough/Beaman - Maria Muldaur
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »
Hi,
This is my first post...I didn't know the site existed otherwise this would have been my 4,000th post!

I've just been listening to Maria Muldaur singing 'Rolling Log' on the Eric Bibb CD "Sisters & Brothers". Not sure who's playing guitar but:

Can someone please help me with the chords/tuning for this song, along with any tips on how to play it? Please don't post tabs; I can't read or decipher tabs. I can decipher most everything just from listening, but it would be a great comfort to hear from someone that knows this stuff. I've got the lyrics and I thought that this would be a good first post; simply because I feel that I have a great deakl to learn and that I would appreciate some help on this. I mainly play by 'ear' and have no idea what the chords are to a lot of stuff I play (I can't name them). I play a Taylor W15 Jumbo with medium strings; and I do mostly aggressive finger-picking. Aggressive, because I don't have nails and I tend to really 'grab' the strings. I can't even name the style I play!

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks, Lupara

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:01:41 PM by uncle bud »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Rolling Log - Lottie Kimbrough/Beaman - Maria Muldaur
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
Hi Lupara,
Welcome to Weenie Campbell!  I can't speak to the Maria Muldaur version of "Rolling Log Blues" because I've never heard it, but the Lottie Kimbrough version is accompanied by one or both of the Pruitt twins (one, I think) playing out of E position in standard tuning, but with a very light gauge string substituted for the G string and tuned an octave high, so that its pitch is the same as the first string at its third fret.  Once you get in that tuning and in tune with the recording, it should be relatively easy to pick up the basic licks, though to pick up the subtleties will take a lot longer.  Without the tuning, you can't get the sound.  I hope this helps and best of luck with the song.  Incidentally, if you're interested in more discussion of this tuning and other pieces played in it go to this thread:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=2304.0.
All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:09:55 PM by Johnm »

Offline Lupara

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:44:17 AM »
Thanks John,

The Maria Muldaur version of Rolling Log sounds to me, (with just one quick listen over loud noises), that it has two guitars; one in regular tuning and the other; well I dunno. I figured i'd take a crack at it in Drop D and see what happens. I'd love to try the high G- string version sometime or even the DGDGBE tuning. I can play this particular style but it's not something I do a lot; this song is a rocker though.

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. I'm going to check the link to the thread that you gave me and also check out your website.

My guitar's worth more than my car!!! There's a song there somewhere, I know it!!

Offline Lupara

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:19:30 AM »
Reply to self!!

Johnm, I read with interest the thread on the octave G string; what a cool idea. I have one guitar, so I may try a regular unwound .26 G string and leave it that way for a while. Better start looking for another guitar as well!! See what happens when you join a forum: the wallet starts to get stressed!!!

Just some info so that you can get an idea of what I'm doing:

Occasionally I'll do a reeely small gig at a reeely small venue b'cos I'm kinda shy and I do not have this incredible urge to get up in front of people and perform. That being said; When I finally DO get up in front of people; I like performing in those more intimate settings; it's a good thing. So, after hearing Rolling Log, I'm gonna learn it and use it in a little set next week possibly; playlist/songlist would be something like this:

Fiddle and Bow - Open D minor
Nellie Gray - Open D
Lowlands (Randy Scruggs) - Open D
Moon's goin' Down/Red House Lyrics - open G
Walkin' Blues - open G

Poscards from Hell (Wood Brothers) - Reg. Tuning
Fort Worth Blues - Steve Earle
Deep River Blues - My Version
Delia - Rev. Davis kinda
Outlaw Honeymoon - Steve Earle (Bluegrass pickin' melody)
Good to See You - Neil Young (Acoustic version with Carter style thumb/strum melody).

Now i'm off to check out you're website.
Thanks again

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
Rory Block also does "Rolling Log." It's been a while since I listened to it, but as I recall there may be two guitars, with one tuned high--or possibly capoed. Maria Muldaur version just might do this, too. When I get a chance, I'll try to run down copies of their respective versions and take a listen.

Added: Here's a link to Rory's version:

http://www.last.fm/music/Rory+Block/_/Rolling+Log

And the video on which she teaches it:

http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/product.aspx?ID=1216
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:35:39 AM by Stuart »

Offline Lupara

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:31:06 AM »
Thanks Stuart,

I like Rory Block a lot; her playing is cool. I've never heard her do Rolling Log. I checked out the links and they're great. As far as Homespun goes; they do provide a great service. I can do everything that the Homespun "level 4" requires so I guess that makes me "intermediate" in my playing level. I do however, make everything I hear as uncomplicated as I can, deliberately. Preferring driving and jumping rhythms whenever possible, and I use medium strings for everything, preferring the overall tone. SOOOO, the Maria Muldaur version of Rolling Log has a better rhythm on the 1V chord (G) I believe, that I can only get by the 5th and 6th string being tuned to G and D respectively. This is my very first attempt after hearing it for just a few seconds and that rhythm stuck in my mind; so I tuned immediately to DGDGBE. I'm not sure if i can get the LOW guitar part in drop D alone (i;e;without dropping the A string to G).

Thanks again Stuart and JohnM; now I'm off to see if I can find Rolling Log on YouTube!!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:57:31 AM »
Listening to the very short sample available for preview on Amazon from the Eric Bibb CD Sisters and Brothers (http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Brothers-Eric-Bibb/dp/B0001BDAQ4), it sounds like Rory Block singing to me. Also sounds like the guitar is played capoed up in dropped D tuning, so not following the original octave G-string technique.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:33:11 AM by uncle bud »

Offline cwoodydwoodbury@rk

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »
On her Homespun video Rory Block plays this tune in dropped D capoed at the 4th fret

Offline Lupara

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »
I have to apolgize; in my haste when listening to the track from "Sisters & Brothers" I had no idea that Rory was on there; so I just assumed it was Maria Muldaur singing with someone else playing guitar. When I listened to it the second time; bingo; it is indeed Rory playing in Drop D capoed at the second fret; duh! I definitely was not paying attention. So apologies to all once again.

It sounds good in Drop D if no high G string can be used. I'm gonna stick to the DGDGBE though simply because I can get a better 'thump' on the G chord with it; instead of doing what Rory does with the same IVth chord.

I'm sure it would sound better with an unwound .26 G string; which will be my next experiment when I change the set of strings.

I've learned so much from just this short thread; it's so inspiring that you guys know so much...what a gift to share!! I did listen to Scratchy's version on You Tube; it's awesome. John is right; it gives a whole different sound with just using a high G string!! Wow!

This is fun.........

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:20 AM »
Just watched that YouTube video with our own Prof. Scratchy - very nice indeedy!  ;D
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 04:06:07 AM »
I feel obliged to draw attention to the sublime version of this song on JohnM's Cd....   ;)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »
When I get a chance, I'll try to run down copies of their respective versions and take a listen.

Hi Lupara:

Since you "replied to self," I figured that I'd quote myself. I ran down a copy of "Sisters and Brothers" this afternoon and listened to the version of "Rolling Log" on it as well as the version on one of Rory's albums. In the "confirming what everyone already knows" department, it's Rory on both versions accompanied by a second guitar.

It's a great song with a lot of possibilities for personal interpretation. I'll second the suggestion that one is well served by listening to Johnm's interpretation on his "This Old Hammer" CD.

Offline Lupara

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
Well Stuart,

Thanks for confirming it was two guitars on Rory's version. I settled on DGDGBE for my rendition. That way, I can get some 'thump' in the bass lines, even with the V chord. I'm basically done with the accompanyment part, and have yet to add a few tweaks here and there. You're right, it's a great song for personal interpretation and also seems to have a lot of 'space' in it if you want it.

I'm sure that JohnM's version HAS to be tasty; alas I do not have that particular CD.

I actually amazed myself at what I accomplished with this song; putting the lyrics and the melody together is also a work in progress. Mine probably doesn't sound anything like the original though!!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal