collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Uncle Sam leave me alone, I got to watch these pretty women while their other men is gone - Bukka White "Army Blues"

Linked Events

• Waxwing's CD Release Concert: January 24, 2009

Author Topic: CD Release Concert for Willie Brown's Liquor  (Read 3337 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
CD Release Concert for Willie Brown's Liquor
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
CD Release Celebration Concert For Willie Brown's Liquor
Saturday, January 24, 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Waxwing John Cowan
with Dr. Miller Wise
sing and play the early Blues
and jug band music
on old weird instruments

33 REVOLUTIONS CAFE
10086 San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito
4 blocks down Central from El Cerrito Plaza BART
No cover charge; beer, wine, coffee and tea
Soups, sandwiches and salads; organic/fair trade
http://33revolutions.com/

Now I know there are lots of you Bay Area Weenies lurking out there whom I haven't met, so come on out to the 33 Revolutions Cafe and enjoy a late afternoon concert, with perhaps a light dinner, before heading off to your Saturday night mischief. Buzz and I have a fun couple of sets planned and it would be great to meet more country blues and jug band nuts and do a little 'community building', eh? 33 Revolutions is a new East Bay venue and owner Dave Kloski is looking to support good music in the community, especially acoustic. I think we can convince him to get more country blues on the schedule. While you are there you can browse his large selection of used vinyl, mostly of the jazz persuasion, or sample several vintage guitars for sale. Fun place. Hope to see you there.

Of course, if you come a little early you can walk about 4 blocks north on San Pablo to Down Home Music, and browse the Bay Area's best selection of Country Blues CDs.-G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Re: CD Release Concert for Willie Brown's Liquor
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:04:02 AM »
John,

Sounds like a tone of fun!!! too bad I'm on the wrong side of the country!  HAve fun!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »
Like Blue in VT said. Only worse if you're on the other side of the Atlantic, like me! :'(

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:06:47 AM »
Have a blast - I am visualizing you guys performing for a large and appreciative crowd. Remember to market the "product!" Maybe a three for the price of two special???  And then there's the concert t-shirt? Maybe some Weenie fly swatters?  Etc. Post some photos if you can.
 8)
Since the next day (Jan 25) is the 250th anniversary of Robbie Burns birth, my Scot blood would appreciate it if you could work in a taste of decent single malt, and hopefully, some mention of the bard in a blues-context!  Here's a verse fromThe Battle Of Sherramuir from 1787(?), sung to the tune of The Cameronian Rant (warning - explicit lyrics, violence):

But had ye seen the philibegs,
   And skyrin tartan trews, man;
   When in the teeth they dar'd our Whigs,
   And covenant True-blues, man:
   In lines extended lang and large,
   When baiginets o'erpower'd the targe,
   And thousands hasten'd to the charge;
   Wi' Highland wrath they frae the sheath
   Drew blades o' death, till, out o' breath,
   They fled like frighted dows, man!
   La, la, la, la, &c.

Resplendent in formal attire, I will be attending a traditional Robbie Burns Dinner the evening of Jan 23 - an event known to shake the "winter blues" that are an unfortunate consequence of living in a cold, dark place. I'm not sure if it's the Scotch or the entertainment that does the trick, but I doubt it's the haggis.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:40:43 AM by FrontPage »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:09 AM »
Resplendent in formal attire, I will be attending a traditional Robbie Burns Dinner the evening of Jan 23 - an event known to shake the "winter blues" that are an unfortunate consequence of living in a cold, dark place. I'm not sure if it's the Scotch or the entertainment that does the trick, but I doubt it's the haggis.

If formal attire for such an event includes a kilt, FP, that sounds very brave for an Edmonton winter!

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
I shall be in conventional trousers; unlike Alex, I do not have a baby blue tuxedo complete with ruffle shirt.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »
I shall be in conventional trousers; unlike Alex, I do not have a baby blue tuxedo complete with ruffle shirt.

Goes well with cowboy boots. Shows my sensitive side.

I'll get you for this,
Alex

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 08:09:21 AM »
Good luck Wax. Will you be doing this sans PA & other amplification?  I think we should start a movement, we could call it SOB (Save our backs)!
T-shirts are a big money maker evidently.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:33:43 AM »
Thanks much for the encouragement, folks. I know you all will be there in spirit, but I do hope to meet some new Bat Area Weenies. Should be a fun time and I think we'll have a good turnout.

It's actually a pretty large space with high ceiling and there's a PA system in house, Mr. O'M, so we won't have to carry any extra equipment (Altho' Tim, who recorded the CD, is bringing a few quality mics and will be tweaking the board). The car full of instruments ought to be enough of a workout, I just can't say no to the little sweethearts.-G- Miller ought to bring a few, too.

T shirts? I'm having enough trouble finding the energy at my age to be manager/agent/promo, oh, and artist, too, without worrying about being art director on top of that. I hear what you're saying, tho', good promo, too.

Hoping to get some good video from this event so maybe you'll see me on youtube soon.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
Barbeque John:

Well, how did it go?

Alex

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 02:41:03 PM »
If formal attire for such an event includes a kilt, FP, that sounds very brave for an Edmonton winter!

That cold. Now I know what a kilt is, so would I be right in assuming an FP is a "Frozen Pecker"?

I shouldn't admit to this but I quite like a bit of decent Haggi (latin plural) but the problem is finding one  :P

Wax, how was the gig? I'm all for gigs without pa.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 12:59:15 AM »
It was good. Lots of friends showed and a fair number of walk-ins, too, I think. Might have seen about a hundred people between both sets. The owner was surprised with the crowd and was understaffed, but happy 'cause the band that was to follow canceled due to sickness.

Duets with Miller went great, especially a few jug band numbers where we played jug and kazoo in addition to guitar and mando: Meat Shakin' Woman (Fuller's), KC Moan (my only slide number) and Texas Tony (with Miller singing) were all crowd pleasers.

Probably would have been better without a PA. My sound guy was too sick to make it, and no one really knew how to set things. High ceiling seemed to eat a lot of sound, I guess. Depended where you sat. Fortunately I didn't know 'til after, so I wasn't freaking about that. Made me realize I really need to educate myself as to how to set up and sound check by myself, tho'.

Played pretty well on my solo numbers and my vocals felt relaxed and were strong (by all reports). Few major guitar clams, of course, but managed never to miss the beat, even when I sang the last half line of one verse and about half the first line of the next virtually a cappella in Back Door Blues. Crap I hate losing it during a circle of 5ths! Just always seem to be one chord behind and trying to catch up. All in all I was pretty happy, tho', in spite of nervousness. Haven't seen any video yet.

Set Lists:

Canned Heat Blues  (w/M on mando)
M&O Blues (w/M on guitar)
Lonesome Home Blues
Down the Dirt Road Blues
Back Door Blues
Untrue Blues
Mississippi Blues (w/M on mando)
Joliet Bound (w/M on guitar)
Broke Down Engine
Avalon Blues (12 str.)

Frankie (w/M on mando)
Screamin' and Cryin" Blues
Sportin' Life
Risin' River Blues
Meat Shakin' Woman (w/M on mando)(jug & kazoo)
KC Moan (w/M on guitar)(j & k)
Texas Tony (w/M on vocal and mando)(j & k)
Future Blues
Good Boy Blues

Took Future Blues a lot slower than usual. Managed to play 6 different instruments, well, 7 with the jug.

Should be able to line up another gig there.

Also talked to Dave, the owner, about doing a CB only evening with a few 2 song open mic slots for starters, then 2 or 3 acts doing shorts sets each, with me as MC, maybe playing a set or maybe a song or two between other sets? But no Weenies came up to say "hey" during the break so I don't know if there are enough CB players interested in the Bay Area to make something like that work. Anybody out there? Maybe Craig's list would pull in a player or two?

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal