collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Kassie Jones - a masterpiece. Most surreal version of the Casey Jones theme. Keeps digressing into talk of other things. Freudian dream imagery - John Fahey, on Furry Lewis

Author Topic: Koerner, Ray and Glover  (Read 1770 times)

Offline framus12

Koerner, Ray and Glover
« on: May 03, 2006, 07:14:25 PM »
Does anybody remember Koerner, Ray and Glover?
  Any comments on them?

Offline tejastani

Re: Koerner, Ray and Glover
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:28:52 PM »
Sure-- I had an old LP "The Return of Koerner, Ray & Glover" that was great, but more a collection of individual pieces than a group effort.  Spider John did his original songs on a 9-string, Dave Ray did only Leadbelly tunes on a 12-string, & Tony Glover's harp things.  The liner notes were an odd amphetamine-fueled rant by someone like Paul Krassner.  I have a great John Koerner CD-- "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Been" where he does folk songs like he wrote 'em.  I've never heard anyone as "authentic" 'cept maybe Pete Seeger.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 05:04:47 PM »
Welcome tejastani!

Do you reside in Tejas?

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 06:09:32 PM »
See http://www.wirz.de/music/krgfrm.htm

They were among the first if not the first white blues artists I recall hearing on record.  I seem to recall that Koerner played a 7 string guitar (doubling the g string).  Ray played a lot more than just Leadbelly.  I haven't listened to them in decades, but I thought Ray's "Slapping On My Black Cat Bone" was at least a minor classic.  I played Ray's "Honey Bee" for a voice major once, and she went sort of ga ga over the vocal.  Koerner seemed to stretch out and improvise much more in concert than his recordings would suggest.  "L.A. Woman" by the Doors is based on his "Southbound Train."

Offline tejastani

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 10:06:59 AM »
Slack-- I reside in San Antonio, Tejastan.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal