collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When your pal buys your gal a Coca-Cola, you can bet your life he's playing her Victrola. - Do It Right, Pigmeat Pete and Catjuice Charlie

Author Topic: Need a yardstick for your guitar skills..?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Need a yardstick for your guitar skills..?
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
..check this link..

Rolly posted this over on Ari's website and thought I move it to a wider audience...enjoy..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:48:27 PM by onewent »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Need a yardstick for your guitar skills..?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:19:10 PM »
Wow, nice playing. Rollie seemed uncomfortable to me, when we saw him at the Jerry Ricks Benefit, Tom. Wish he had been on his game. Looks like he might be playing Ari's L-00 in that vid, or does he have one, too. Shades of #15 at PT (where there were three or four L-00s at times) when they get together, eh?

Jazzers should check out Rolly's chord lessons. Similar to John M's Friday afternoon class at PT last year. Knowledge that could help any player.

All for now,
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:06:23 PM »
waxwing..agree that Rolly appeared a bit 'undersized' when scheduled around the electric band and louder players..I never saw him perform live before..he has a very light touch and gentle vocal delivery.  I think that's his L-00, Ari's has the white pickguard, but there can never be enough L-00's around..!

All:  I checked Rollies youtube 360 chords in six minutes lessons (they're amazing in their thoroughness, I guess, but, man, I was lost after the forth C something 7th thingie) and if you like to work out jazzy/blusey guitar arangements these lesson could be a big help..

Regards, Tom
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:10:30 PM by onewent »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:41:10 PM »
Hi guys

I checked the guitar chord page, Waxwing mentioned, too! It's excellent. The basic idea is that if you memorize 4 given C7 shapes at the time, you can form many other chords by just changing one note.

Here's the direct link to Rollys' homepage: http://www.rollybrown.com/tips.html

If you scroll down the page you can see the chord diagrams also.

Thanks again!

Pan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
Excellent tutorial, thanks for posting.

Offline CF

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:29:08 AM »
Hmmm . . . I don't get it.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
..cheapfeet, the youtube link,  the rolly brown website, or something else?

Offline CF

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 02:15:58 PM »
Yeah onewent, something else . . . but i'll leave it at that. I'm trying to be more polite on the internet. Just ignore the above comment.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 02:21:22 PM »
..well, if you want to peel back the layers from Rolly's performance, check out Steve Mann's guitar version of Drown in My Own Tears, and you'll hear Ray Charles on piano, and so on..

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
Hmmm . . . I don't get it.

Well, if you take the 1st C7 chord shape: 3-x-2-3-1-x, you'll have the voices G, E, Bb, and C, that is:  the perfect 5th, the major 3rd, the minor 7th, and the root of the C7 chord from bottom to top.

If you would like to play a Major 7th chord, all you got to do is to raise the B flat to a B natural: 3-x-2-4-1-x.

If you would like to play a Major 6th chord, all you got to do is to lower the B flat to an A : 3-x-2-2-1-x.

If you would like to play a minor 7th chord, all you got to do is to lower the Et o an E flat: 3-x-1-3-1-x.

If you would like to play a minor 6th chord, all you got to do is to lower both E to an E flat, and  the B flat to an A: 3-x-1-2-1-x.

You can repeat the procedure on all 4 inversions of the chord.

And all of the chord inversions coming up.

You can take this also further. In larger chords, you can omit the root, or the 5th of the chord. Let's say you want to play the C9th inversions. Just omit the root, and play the 9th 2 frets above the root. You can add the 9th to the Maj7, or 6, or m7, or m6 chords. For altered V7 chords you can play a b9 or a #9 also.

You can substitute the 5th of the chord with the 11th (2 frets lower) in minor chords or with the #11th (1 fret lower) on major or dominant 7th chords. You can choose whether or not these voicings have the root or the 9th included.

You can alter the 5th (b5 or #5) to get more altered chords, or the m75, or the dim7 voicings.

This is a very good way to learn to work on your chord voicings, especially if you are interested in any "jazzy" voicings. (If not, excuse me for taking up you precious time :)).

Cheers

Pan

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »
Haha, thanks Pan but I was talking about something else!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal