collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
All music is folk music, 'cause we're all folks - Louis Armstrong

Author Topic: "Harlem Street Singer" -- upcoming film about Rev Gary Davis  (Read 5130 times)

Offline outfidel

Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: "Harlem Street Singer" -- upcoming film about Rev Gary Davis
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:39:05 AM »
"We are now seeking finishing funds for postproduction. All contributions to the Acoustic Traditions 501c3 are tax-deductible. Individual and corporate donors will be acknowledged in film credits."

There's a Lighnin' Hopkins film that has been seeking finishing funds since 2007 and it still hasn't reached it's target. Hopefully the Rev has a more dedicated, and wealthier, fan base than Hopkins.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »
Great to hear about this, it is indeed long overdue. It always blows my mind to be reminded of Rev. Davis' general obscurity considering how large he loomed in my life. I'm always shocked when I mention his name and am met with blank stares. IMO if you know who Louis Armstrong, Bill Monroe and BB King are  you oughta know who RGD is. His music should be a basic element of cultural literacy. Perhaps it needs the validation of a biopic to make that happen.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
It is indeed a most worthy project, and I wonder what kind of $$ they're talking about for post-production. I realize all filmmaking is expensive but wonder if a target might encourage donations. I'm certainly in no position to finance anything more than Rev. Gary Davis documentary flipbook, but if someone said we need $XXXX amount which equals 250 people donating just $XX, or whatever, perhaps non-Players (in the Altman sense) might be encouraged to toss into the hat.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
It is indeed a most worthy project, and I wonder what kind of $$ they're talking about for post-production. I realize all filmmaking is expensive but wonder if a target might encourage donations. I'm certainly in no position to finance anything more than Rev. Gary Davis documentary flipbook, but if someone said we need $XXXX amount which equals 250 people donating just $XX, or whatever, perhaps non-Players (in the Altman sense) might be encouraged to toss into the hat.
Occurs to me would be a sensible strategy to adopt.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 04:35:07 AM »
Does anybody know of the status of this Woody Mann inspired project?

I recall reading early last year (I thought here but, obviously not) that it was due for a summer 2011 release.

Maybe it will coincide with the publication of Ian Zac's RGD biography.  Who knows when that will be? :-\

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »
According to Woody's Facebook page, I think there was a screening of the film in Jersey in early July (this year  2012 8) )

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »
Thanks.

Having no truck with Facebook, or other forms of social networking, I guess I'm going to miss out on information only spread via such. C'est la vie....

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
Not a whole lot of useful info spread via Facebook, IMO. But when there is, just a reminder that weenies should feel free to post about it here.

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 03:57:15 AM »
I just received this update from Woody and Trevor :

October 2012
"Harlem Street Singer"
...film update...

The Final Edit...Boston Screening
These last few months have been very productive with the filming of the last round of interviews (including Peter Yarrow) and aquiring new footage and archival stills.
We have just finished the final edit. It?s been a long road but worth the wait!  The next step is the technical post production then submissions to festivals and a TV & DVD release.

We are very excited to announce that the first official release screening will be in Boston, January 25th, 2013, at the Institute of Contemporary Art.
THE INSTITUTE OF CONTEMPORARY ART/BOSTON ( http://www.icaboston.org/programs/film/ )
  January 25th, 2013
"Harlem Street Singer"
The story of Reverend Gary Davis, an American Master
This is exciting news and marks the Official release of the ?Harlem Street Singer?.
(We will be sending out the info and invitations to all contributors when available)

Please join our mailing list ( http://www.acoustictraditions.org/mailing-list ) and keep checking the website and our facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Harlem-Street-Singer/146549208696429 )page for the latest updates and release dates.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
Showing at festival in NYC - 11/17 and 11/21.
http://www.docnyc.net/film/harlem-street-singer/#.UmGquVDkspm

Offline RB

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
Two notes. 

First, I'm from suburban Philadelphia and grew up (from 1955 or so until 1971 or so) on a street called Bryn Mawr Avenue, in Lower Merion Township, Pennsylvania.  The 'successful' long running 'folk music' venue, the Main Point (to which I often went in the middle to late 1960's) was not on Bryn Mawr Avenue but was in Bryn Mawr, another part of the town of Lower Merion.  One night my father came home from his center city work in Philadelphia and told me that he had met Reverend Davis at the foot of our driveway, and he handed me Davis' business card.  Davis and his driver were on their way to the Main Point and were not terribly well succeeding in getting there on Bryn Mawr Avenue, at least until my father pointed out a better route.  I always laughed when I recalled this as there was an old song about the blind man singing 'oh show me the way,' and I felt my father had done just that.

Second, the film noted here is co-directed by Simeon Hutner, whose family I have known in a few connections fairly well for many years.  I didn't know this fellow was particularly interested in this music (I myself think Reverend Davis was the greatest, though I didn't think so back then) though I did know he was interested in photography and I have a book (of poems by his deceased sister) that is illustrated with his photographs.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »
Thanks for thee post,  RB.

I've moved the link over here where it belongs:

http://www.musicfilmweb.com/2013/11/harlem-street-singer-reverend-gary-davis-music-documentary/

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
Any chance you still have the business card, RB?

And I realize the film is doing the film festival circuit, but I wish PBS would just buy the thing for American Masters like they should, or the DVD would go on sale, 'cause I am itchin' to see it...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:30:02 PM by uncle bud »

Offline RB

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 06:10:58 AM »
It is possible that I have it but probably not likely and certainly not accessible if so.  Good at keeping things, not so good at this one, and sorry abut that. 

What year did Davis die? (I ask, but I'll look this up, too.)  How were his last years? When did he give up performing? (My father, mentioned in the above anecdote, was born in 1916, died in 1994.)

Tags: Rev. Gary Davis 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal