collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't got nobody here but me and myself. If I had my right mind I'd stay drunk all the time - Charlie Patton, Shake It And Break It

Author Topic: Larry Johnson - "Fast & Funky"  (Read 9200 times)

Muddyroads

Larry Johnson - "Fast & Funky"
« on: March 08, 2005, 06:27:02 AM »
It cheered this old heart to hear  Larry Johnson on the  WC Juke this morning.  His LP on Blue Goose, Fast  and Funky is a  gem of my collection.  Don't know if it has been reissued on CD or not but I burned my copy to CD for portablity.  Another old gem is Living Legends L:ive on Verve Folkways featuring Big Joe Williams, Skip James, Son House and  Bukka White..

I remember watching Skip James sing Devil Got My Woman on a sultry August afternoon.  It transported me through time. 

The old blues are best.

Mud

Offline book

• Robert & The Book
    • www.roybookbinder.com
Re: Larry Johnson - "Fast & Funky"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:13:16 AM »
Mud, Larry Johnson Fast and Funky available on cd from Baltimore Blues Society.? It is great!? I was friends with Laryry back in the old days and recently recorded CHARLEY STONE.? Back in the 70's,? I recorded?his version of KEEP IT CLEAN.?Larry and I did a few festivals together in the past few years.? He can still do it!? 'Boy Howdey', he really can!
The Book
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 02:17:18 PM by Johnm »
Roy BB

Muddyroads

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 05:38:05 AM »
Hey Book,

Has Larry recorded anything new since then?  Where can I get it?

Thanks,

Mud

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 07:13:58 AM »
Hiya Mud - check out Stefan Wirz's Larry discography at http://www.wirz.de/music/johnsfrm.htm

I was just listening to the Midnight Hour Blues CD the other day for the first time in ages. I really enjoyed it.

;D

Oh, and a hearty welcome to the Book as well!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 07:15:49 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:48:16 AM »
Does anybody out there know where I can buy a copy of the CD reissue of Larry Johnson's Blue Goose album "Fast & Funky"?

Thanks a lot.

Michael
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:00:51 AM »
Michael - check this thread:
http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=83&topic=1753.msg13459#msg13459

Instructions are there on how to get it.

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
The other day I came across a few LPs I had picked up just before moving a few years ago. I hadn't had a chance to listen to them back then, and as a result of the move I guess I just forget to get to them. Anyway, one of them was none other than Larry Johnson's Fast and Funky, which has a different picture than the CD reissue. The LP shows him playing what looks like a Sovereign from the teens or '20s, although I don't really think it sounds like it's that guitar on the record. Does anyone know if that's the guitar he was playing on this disk

Here's a link that shows the album cover; the first is the CD reissue, the second the original LP: http://amillionmilesfromnowhere.blogspot.com/2010/05/fast-funky-larry-johnson.html.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
I'm sure that the guitar on the LP release was one of Nick Perls' collection - the whole idea would have been his: the suit, the suitcase, like that. N.B. that the guys on the cover of a Yazoo collection whose name eludes me (Mr. Charlie's Blues?) of White blues has Nick in blackface and Larry in whiteface! Not p.c. today, but funny back then. Back to the original topic - Larry can PLAY!

Peter B.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
I'm searching for this record but don't wanna spend half a paycheck for the LP (currently listed on Amazon). Can anyone help me out?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
FWIW was re-released on CD by the Baltimore Blues Society in 1997. Copies of that may be floating around.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:55 AM »
Hi Harry:

Try asking Brian Kramer. When the IGS forum was up and running, he posted about Larry a couple of times, IIRC. Perhaps he has contact info for Larry and/or info about the CD. There's a contact e-mail on the page:

http://www.kramerblues.com/

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
I'm sure that the guitar on the LP release was one of Nick Perls' collection - the whole idea would have been his: the suit, the suitcase, like that. N.B. that the guys on the cover of a Yazoo collection whose name eludes me (Mr. Charlie's Blues?) of White blues has Nick in blackface and Larry in whiteface! Not p.c. today, but funny back then. Back to the original topic - Larry can PLAY!

Peter B.

Sorry to have to contradict you, Peter, but afaik the guy in whiteface on Yazoo L-1024 is not Larry Johnson, but one of Perls', errh, playmates!  ;D

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 02:10:53 AM »
I remember studying that LP cover when I got it and coming to the conclusion that I did not think it was Larry. Thanks for the confirmation, Stefan.

And I make no apologies for mentioning yet again that "Fast & Funky" is one of my all-time favourite records.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Vermonter

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 08:37:52 AM »
Looks like there are a few cuts on Youtube.

Offline CF

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »
I remember studying that LP cover when I got it and coming to the conclusion that I did not think it was Larry. Thanks for the confirmation, Stefan.

And I make no apologies for mentioning yet again that "Fast & Funky" is one of my all-time favourite records.

FAST & FUNKY is a stone cold masterpiece. The pinnacle of revivalist country blues recordings imho.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Tags: Larry Johnson 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal