collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
One day a man wearing a Western-style hat with a red bandanna around his neck walked into our store and announced that he was Jelly Roll Morton, the greatest stomp and blues piano player this side of New Orleans. Cassius Clay had nothing on Jelly Roll! - Lester Melrose, comparing Jelly roll Morton to a young (pre name change) Mohammed Ali

Author Topic: European Weenie gathering 13-14 April 07 is go! And the web site up and running  (Read 23284 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Scratch, I know... but to put it medically I was knacked by then and needed some sleep  ^-^

However, for those interested here is a very brief resume and the recipe for a weenie weekend.

First, hope you can get enough weenie's or similar to attend... don't rely on the locals for support and pray for nice weather, something we were more than lucky with  :)

Next, assume you have say, a dozen players, which luckily we did and then surprise them on the first night with the news that they are going to draw lots to form trios to perform two songs the following evening - now that really did produce some very interesting reactions..hehehe  >:D

It being a weekend event, I had concluded that maybe the full day on the Saturday would be enough if backed up by perfomances on the Friday and Saturday evenings. Obviously some form of musical entertainment is required to keep the theme in the daytime so I arranged for hour long-ish workshops "workshops"  throughout the Saturday - Blueshome on Tampa Red style, Waxwing on Scrapper Blackwell, Tom Doughty on tunings\styles and Prof Scratchy on Blind Blake - they were all very good believe me - and for free  :P

Personally I thought the idea of a communal meal at the hotel on the Saturday seemed a good idea, which I think proved to be the case. That was followed by the "trio" performances (samples will be posted on the back porch) and from there things moved onto solo performances for as late as you wanted to stay up!

Sunday morning, generally a travelling day (Travelling Blues or is that too much of a jass number?) was enlivened by one of my infamous blues quizes for which only two people scored well over halfway - what does that tell you !

That's about it really, I will sort out and post the sound files tomorrow... so, all I can say is thanks again for coming over and it looks like next year is going to be on  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:41:23 PM by Richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Congrats to you Richard and all who participated on a successful event!  Not easy to do!  Interesting format and we'll patiently await the mp3's.

Weenie would be proud.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
I have just finished putting up a selection of mp3's on the back porch and hope you enjoy them  :P

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Finally have a moment to post, having flown into Philadelphia last night and staying at my folks place in New Jersey.

Thank you, Richard, for putting this all together. Great job! And a really fun time.

I certainly enjoyed meeting all the Euro-Weenies and some (hopefully) new Weenies as well. Hey to Liam, Phil, Alan, Geoff, Simon, Sonya, Ian, Graham, Steven, and Tom.

High points for me were the very emotive playing of Tom Doughty and Scratch's set on the Saturday night,  and especially his vocal on the jam number we did around his Stop Breakin' Down.

Look forward to seeing some of you lads over here for PT soon. I don't know if I'll be able to make it back to Guernsey (altho' Gre and I are already planning a return to Paris) but I highly recommend the trip to other North American Weenies, not to mention some of you other Euro-Weenies from the continent.

The view from the hotel was particularly breath taking as well. When we checked into our room, Gre exclaimed, "Well, you didn't tell me it would be like this."

I'm in a library with no headphones so I'll give a listen to the back porch postings latter, but Good job there as well, Richard.

Off to play at JimNJBlues's open mic tonight

All for now.
John C.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
Thanks again for coming over and I'm really pleased it worked. Had, trouble booking the weather though..

Here's a pic of you (just sent to me) which shows you in total concentration mode it was kindly sent to me by Paul, Sonya's other half.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
I forgot to say, Paul has kindly sent me photo's of all who attended so if you want to admire yourself in glorious digital colour, then email me so I have your email address and I'll send you a copy - the same goes for any of the better quality sound files that I have.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal