collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I wanna know girl, what in the world you eat makes your breath smell like your feet. - Ralph Willis, "Going To Virginia"

Author Topic: Bo Carter Lyrics  (Read 42263 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Bo Carter Lyrics
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »
There were red squirrels where I grew up, a mile in from the ocean on the Jersey Shore, but as the town got built up, they slowly disappeared. I cannot recall seeing any black squirrels there. Where an old friend of mine lives in Michigan, about 30 miles west of Detroit, black squirrels are all over the place. Here in Shoreline, there are a fair number of Douglas squirrels which are just slightly larger than chipmunks, but they tend to live in the wooded areas.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »
I agree with what you said, dj, and have changed "or" to "on". Thanks!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2020, 08:51:05 PM »
As I gave a little misinformation regarding squirrels, I wanted to correct it.

I checked my old 1959 Edition of the Harper & Row Complete Field Guide to American WildLife: East, Central and North, a childhood and adolescence companion on many trips to Canada and other points in the Northeast, I find that fox squirrels are, indeed, a species to themselves, inhabiting the Southeast and Midwest US, and not coming into NJ or PA much, at least, in 1959. They are somewhat larger than the gray squirrels, are light grayish with a yellow to rusty overcoat. Red squirrels are somewhat smaller than the gray and are most common in the Great North Woods, altho, again, in 1959, they come into the US in the Midwest and Northeast, and also in the northern Rocky Mountains. The only indication of a black squirrel was that the gray squirrel has a black phase.

As to "cat squirrels", you may be right Johnm.

Wax
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 08:52:21 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
From a quick check it appears that black squirrels are "a melanistic subgroup" of eastern grays and of fox squirrels. Some of the ones I saw in Michigan were too big for grays, so I assume they were the sub-group of the fox squirrel species.

It's great that you held onto the "Complete Field Guide...", Wax.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2020, 04:28:30 AM »
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a cat squirrel is "a reddish-coated fox squirrel found in the eastern part of its range".

I've wondered about the term since 1967, but never thought to look it up until today.  And, living in the Hudson Valley, I'd never heard of a fox squirrel until this thread popped up.  It's amazing the things one can learn reading this forum!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:32:09 AM by dj »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2020, 05:52:39 AM »
Thanks for all of the additional information, guys. Digression is so worthwhile sometimes--it's nice to get out of that tunnel vision occasionally. I'd heard Dr. Ross and others sing about "cat squirrels" for years, and just kind of kept squeezing by it without thinking about it very much or taking any steps to find out to what exactly he was referring. Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »
Hi all,
"Ride My Mule" was the first song Bo Carter recorded at his session in New Orleans on February 20, 1936. He played the song out of DGDGBE tuning, working a lot of familiar territory. In the first verse it is like the last twelve bars of a 16-bar blues, in that the first two 4-bar phrase begin on IV7 chords, after which it morphs into a chorus blues for the remaining verses. Bo's playing on this song is really stellar, even by his standards. Here is "Ride My Mule":

INTRO

If you'll just ride my mule, I'll tell you what I really will do
I got a two-dollar bill here, sweet baby, that you can just, carr' on home with you

Listen here, sweet baby, won't you just bear this in mind? A woman don't feel so well when she haven't got nar' dime
I got a two-dollar bill here, sweet baby, that you can just, carr' on home with you

Listen here, sweet baby, you know this ain't no fake, a two-dollar bill will buy you a mighty good print dress

SOLO

Now you listen here, sweet baby, bear this in mind, when you go to the market a two-dollar bill will work just fine
I got a two-dollar bill here, sweet baby, that can just, carr' on home with you

Listen, sweet baby, you know I ain't no lyin' man, you ride my mule one time you'll want to ride him again

CODA

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:45:28 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2020, 05:54:27 AM »
Hi all,
Bo Carter recorded "You Better Know Your Business" on February 20, 1936 in New Orleans, accompanying himself out of A position in standard tuning. I'd very much appreciate corroboration or correction on the ending of the last line of the refrain here. Despite the recording being very clear, I'm having a hard time hearing or getting the sense of Bo's meaning. First I thought he was saying "nest", which made no sense, and then decided he must be shortening "business" to "'ness", but then I'm unclear as to whether the word that follows it is "wear" or "worry". So help is much appreciated.  Here is "You Better Know Your Business":

INTRO

Say, you strayed from home, baby, 'fore you's grown, you's runnin' and ribbin', wouldn't let other women's men alone
REFRAIN: Baby, you better know your business, say, you better know your business
I mean you better know your business, don't you want to live in this world here long

Say, you get a good man, then you won't treat him right, you lay around with other women's men at night
REFRAIN: Baby, you better know your business, baby, please know your business
I mean you better know your business, don't you want to live in this world here long

Say, you always goin', baby, in and out, tryin' to show other women's men just what you've got
REFRAIN: Baby, why don't you know your business, baby, please know your business

SOLO

Say, you're flyin' high now, some day you will fly low, you get dog-bit, it'll be by old Fido
REFRAIN: Baby, please know your business, baby, please know your business

Say, you taken exposing from your head to  your knees, next thing you know you'll have a case of the old TBs
REFRAIN: Baby, please know your business, baby, please know your business

CODA

Edited 11/23 to pick up corrections from banjochris

All best,
Johnm   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:45:43 AM by Johnm »

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #233 on: November 23, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »
John,
I think Bo is singing 'ere long, meaning "before long". So, mind your business before it wears you down.

I must comment, the quality of those recordings from this session in New Orleans is amazing. You can really hear the resonance of the room where Bo is singing. A wonderful natural reverb.

Dave

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »
I have terrible ears, even with mechanical assistance, but I hear ‘ mess win(d) you along’....

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
Bo's singing "Don't you want to live in this world here long."
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #236 on: November 23, 2020, 09:49:10 AM »
Thanks for the help, Dave, Prof and Chris. I agree, Dave, the sound on that New Orleans session is amazing--such a live room, but warm, too, not harsh. I heard "mess" in the first place, too, Prof. I reckon Chris got it--once I heard "let" rather than "live" I was just going down the wrong path, both in terms of sound and sense. Thanks, Chris, for the catch, and I have made the change.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2020, 05:54:22 AM »
Hi all,
Bo Carter recorded "Doubled Up In A Knot" on October 15, 1936 at that good-sounding room in the St. Charles Hotel in New Orleans, accompanying himself out of DGDGBE tuning. I suspect Bo could knock out songs like this in a matter of minutes. Here is "Doubled Up In A Knot":

INTRO

Oh, down the river there's something new, It ain't nothin' to it, it ain't hard to do
REFRAIN: You've got to double in a knot, oh, you double in a knot
I mean you double in a knot, and you give your daddy, all you got

Now listen here, baby, this is comin' to a test, we gon' see who's doubled in a knot the best

Now listen here, baby, this ain't no fun, double in a knot right, you'll always get my mon'

Say, you double in a knot, is the way, you can't make no money layin' straight these days
I mean you double in a knot, and you give your daddy, all you've got

SOLO

You can double in a knot or you can let it be, you won't hold your man, you see

Now listen here, baby, bear this in mind, you double in a knot right, you'll always have a dime
I mean you double in a knot, and you give your daddy, all you've got

Says, the womens these days is trying' to learn something new, see if they can take your man from you
REFRAIN: They are doublin' in a knot, oh, they're doubled in a knot
I mean they're doubled in a knot, and they'll give your daddy, all they got

CODA

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:20:10 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »
Hi all,
Bo Carter recorded "I Love That Thing" at a session in New York City on June 4, 1931. He accompanied himself out of Vestapol tuning for the song, which is essentially a cover of "Tight Like That". Bo is joined on the track by the same lewd mystery commentator who did the talking on "Twist It, Baby". Here is "I Love That Thing":

INTRO

Now listen here, folks, gon' tell you the fact, my baby got somethin' that I sure do like
REFRAIN: Oh I love that thing, I love that thing
I love that thing, tell the world I do

Now it ain't no sugar, it ain't no cake, my baby got me some mighty good meat

SOLO X 2 (Spoken: Oh baby, I love that thing. Ha ha ha. Oh, you know I love that thing. Baby, it's so good. Mama's so good, I love that thing. Ha ha.)

My baby got somethin', don't know what it is, when she let me down I can't be still

My baby got somethin' like a stingeree, she can stand in Memphis put the jinx on me
REFRAIN: 'Cause I love that thing, I love that thing

I went home last night, 'bout a-half past ten, I knocked on the door and she let me in

SOLO X 2 (Spoken during solo: Oh baby, I love that thing. Heh, heh. Mama, I sure love that thing. Told you once before, Mama, I love that thing. Oh baby, sure is good. Mam', I love that thing!)

Now I told you once, I told you twice, when I get to lovin' want to love you right

Now, listen here, baby, bear this in mind, I never gets tired of lovin' you all the time
REFRAIN: 'Cause I love that thing, I love that thing

All best,
Johnm

Offline gmeyer

• Howdy!
Re: BO Carter's "Baby How Can It Be" lyrics
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2021, 09:41:11 AM »
"I'll get you a Graftonola (sic), a radio too"

I have listened to this line way too many times and have song various versions of what I have heard and what might make sense. 

Listening again, I distinctly hear two syllables after the word radio, like:

" a radio o' two"  for the more complete  " a radio or two"

Thanks Frankie for posting all these lyrics from your Done Gone site!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal