collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

[Bull City] Red pulled his hat down over his eyes and said to her, "Cora Mae [Fuller's wife], I didn't get but one letter from you when I was in Virginia." To which [Blind Boy] Fuller replied, "Well, that was one too many." - Bull City Red, from an article about Richard Trice by David Menconi in the Raleigh [NC] News and Observer, 24Jun98

Author Topic: Flatpick Advisory  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Flatpick Advisory
« on: July 25, 2004, 11:16:58 AM »
Hi all,
Just thought I would let you know that I will be doing some things in various classes and workshops at PT this summer for which you will need a flatpick, or possibly a thumbpick.  These include a fiddle/guitar workshop with Suzy Thompson which will include some Mississippi Sheiks tunes, a Hillbilly Blues class which may include some Carolina Tarheels stuff by Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster, and a duet workshop in which we will focus on the second guitar parts of Kansas Joe, Dan Sane, Curley Weaver, and possibly others.  If you are interested you may want to bring a pick or picks to camp.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
Re: Flatpick Advisory
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 04:42:09 PM »
Gee whiz...  I hope you and Suzy aren't tired of doing this kind of thing by the time I work out the logisitics of getting the whole brood out there.  Sounds like a lot of fun!

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 04:53:18 PM »
I'm excited. Was just listening to the Sheiks as I prepared dinner and was thinking, Boy I hope someone does a Sheiks class with Suzy. All of it sounds fabulous, John.

Offline MotMot

• Some said it's beans, some said it's greens
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 06:24:23 AM »
< ... snip ...> a fiddle/guitar workshop with Suzy Thompson which will include some Mississippi Sheiks tunes, a Hillbilly Blues class which may include some Carolina Tarheels stuff by Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster, and a duet workshop in which we will focus on the second guitar parts of Kansas Joe, Dan Sane, Curley Weaver, and possibly others.?< ... snip ...>

Well, that does it: you've gone and made me decide that, come hell or highwater, next summer I'm heading west to get in on some of this, because those are the kind of workshops I've been fantasizing about.

Cheers,
Mot
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:08:36 AM by waxwing »
... but it's a slow consumption, killing me by degrees

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 08:33:34 AM »
Just thought I would let you know that I will be doing some things in various classes and workshops at PT this summer for which you will need a flatpick, or possibly a thumbpick.? These include a fiddle/guitar workshop with Suzy Thompson which will include some Mississippi Sheiks tunes, a Hillbilly Blues class which may include some Carolina Tarheels stuff by Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster, and a duet workshop in which we will focus on the second guitar parts of Kansas Joe, Dan Sane, Curley Weaver, and possibly others.? If you are interested you may want to bring a pick or picks to camp.

Sounds fantastic John - love the variety presented in the duet classes!? And Suszy Thompson just flat out has those old styles down - a wonderful player and singer.

cheers,
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:09:25 AM by waxwing »

Tags: flatpicking 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal