collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I met John Hurt through Mike Seger in Newport in '63. His agent, Tom Hopkins said we could sit and talk. Of course it was a festival and I was sitting backstage with him and a few people. A month or so later he was playing at the Philadelphia folk festival. I saw him approaching me and I started walking briskly to him to ask if he remembered me, I was in my early 20s, and when I got near enough, he said 'Hey Man! Do you remember me!?' hehe! That explains Mississippi John Hurt! Instead of me asking, he did! - Jerry Ricks, http://www.blueschat.com/tscripts/bc062198.htm

Author Topic: Jaybird Coleman life - as told by brother Joe  (Read 11033 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Jaybird Coleman life - as told by brother Joe
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 01:50:33 AM »
I have now located my copy of Cather's 1999, self published pamphlet Tracking Down a Legend: The "Jaybird" Coleman Story. Much of it is essentially what he wrote in 1962 but how he ends this new piece of writing I found interesting:

"Early in 1950, Jaybird became ill. His brother took him to the Negro ward of a local hospital, but the singer died before he was even admitted. I inferred at the time that Joe did not particularly want to talk about his brother's death. He did tell me that Jaybird was buried in Bessemer's Lincoln Memorial Gardens with a veteran's tombstone. Sometime after my visit with Joe, I was able to find the grave and photograph it. Joe's delightful wife, Lizzie, owned the only known photograph of "Jaybird" taken at Ft. McClellan during the First World War. I purchased the rights to the photograph from her and printed it as part of a copyrighted story in the September 1962 issue of Music Memories. When I reread the article to prepare this booklet, I was privately embarrassed at how bad the writing was (and, in one or two places, how the article bordered on the patronization which passed for racial "moderation" in 1962 Birmingham). But I was just a fresh-faced kid.

That was twenty-eight years ago. There was no archives department at the local library; there was no Birmingham or Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame; there was no Alabama Music Hall of Fame Museum in the Tri-Cities. Just a kid, tracking down a legend. And trying to build a bridge between black and white."

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:39:04 AM »
Given that it's Jaybird's birthday today thought I'd give this a bump for all those who may not have been members back in 2006. Well done Pat Cather for locating the brother.

Offline iantonionni

• Shw'mae!
    • The Bay Rum Hounds on Bandcamp
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 06:55:05 AM »
Thanks, well worth the bump!

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »
^ I second that!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline thickpete

• Folks that ain't broke is badly bent...
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
I found that fascinating - thanks very much. I'm also very interested in additional info on the white power structure/KKK and Southern organized crime as it intersected with the Black entertainment/vice worlds from the 1890s-1960s. Reading of the wayward soldier at Fort McClellan had me wondering if that base had its own accompanying sin city like Fort Benning farther North had the legendary Phenix City. Always interested in anything on this subject - thanks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:08:00 PM by thickpete »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:33:22 AM »
Thanks, well worth the bump!
Pleased it was of interest.

In my formative years here (2005-2009) I posted a goodly number of arcane items such as this, having been originally scanned for folk researching articles, books etc. With more and more items finding their way on to the web, such postings became increasingly redundant.

Once in a while there's been a need of such -  the three part Little Hat Jones back in March.

Offline jostber

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »

Thanks, a great article! Anyone has a link to this photo, it seems like it has disappeared?

Offline jostber

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
Repost from many moons ago, stolen from 78 Quarterly.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline jostber

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
Thanks for reposting the photo. This place is named in tribute of Jaybird:

Collaborators behind The Jaybird seek to ?bring people together? - ironcity.ink

http://ironcity.ink/neck-of-the-woods/crestwood/collaborators-behind-the-jaybird-seek-to-?bring-people-toget/

Offline mtzionmemorialfund

• Tear This Barrelhouse Down
    • Mt. Zion Memorial Fund
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 02:45:56 AM »
Coleman was a very popular musician around Birmingham and Bessemer, Alabama. His recording career, by comparison, was perhaps a modest success. In 1950, the military veteran passed and his grave received a marker from the federal government. Some years back it became dislodged from the burial site and forgotten in an abandoned section of Lincoln Memorial Cemetery in Bessemer, Alabama. We plan to remedy the situation this summer. To support our effort, please visit: www.mtzionmemorialfund.org

Produced by the Mt. Zion Memorial Fund
www.mtzionmemorialfund.org

Photos and Film: Brett Bonner
T. DeWayne Moore
Executive Director, Mt. Zion Memorial Fund

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal