collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice - Henry Ford

Author Topic: help with guitar ID  (Read 5351 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
help with guitar ID
« on: April 30, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »
Can anyone help identify this recent ebay purchase?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: help with guitar ID
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 10:27:59 AM »
Mmmmnn - probably not with a picture that small...and I don't know how to send a bigger one!! :(

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 10:31:07 AM »
..let's see if this one is better...???

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 12:51:42 PM »
I can't help you with what it is, but it does look pretty!  How does it sound?
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »
I can't help you either Perfesser, but I am coveting it...

Nice purchase! Is it ladder-braced? Looks to be in excellent shape. Any up close pix?

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:19:04 PM »
Can't help you either, but congrats anyway!

Any chance to hear you "scratching" on it maybe on the back porch sometime soon :)?

Yours

Pan

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »
Hi Professor,
I have a hard time making out the details of the picture, but judging from the color of the headstock and  the general look of the purfling, it looks to me like it's Chicago made, probably Lyon and Healy, similiar to this one on my website:
http://www.fraulini.com/forsale/oak-6-full-front.jpg
The real way to tell is to reach inside and check out the bracing pattern.  It most likely has one brace below the soundhole, running at an angle and then a 1" bridge plate running perpendicular to the grain, spanning the width of the top.  It was most likely designed for fairly light gauged strings and you should probably only put silk and steels on it. 
What are the back and sides made of?  Cool guitar.

dabluz

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 07:43:14 PM »
it sure looks like a "lakeside music" guitar, which was a chicago music store. most were made by lyon and healy. it's hard to tell from picture but sure looks like one. i have restored a couple. you can get them on ebay pretty cheap because most don't know they were possibly made by lyon and healy

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 04:38:50 AM »
Many thanks for all the expert info on this. The guitar is still winging its way across the atlantic, so I won't be able to say much about the bracing or the sound until it gets here, hopefully in one piece and without too much luthier work being required. Cambio and Dabluz, here's a photo of the back, sides and purfling, which might clinch it for you??? BTW I have a number of no-name old guitars which people might be able to help identify. If it's not too much of a drag for folk, maybe I could post some more pics in the next wee while?
All help gratefuly appreciated.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 06:45:34 AM »
Your purchase looks very interesting.  Dare we ask how much you paid for it?  I often look at guitars on eBay in the hope of finding a bargain of this ilk, but without success.  I hope it lives up to expectations.  Maybe you can add an MP3 file of the way the guitar sounds (don't ask me how you do that!!).

Yes and please let's see pics of your other bargains.  Most of us anoraks Weenies just love looking at photos of acoustic guitars.

Michael
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 06:59:51 AM »
Hi Michael
I paid $462 ....time will tell if that was a bargain or a liability. Meanwhile, Todd Cambio kindly emailed me with help to identify some other unnamed guitars, pics of which are attached.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 10:38:04 AM »
I am always eyeballing the cheap parlors that you see for sale on ebay and thought that they might be a good way to learn some guitar repair skills without spending a crazy amount of money...plus I love parlors and wouldn't mind having a couple myself.  That said finding info on these rather obscure makers is somewhat difficult.  Can you experts out there suggest a few good references for a newbie like me? 

thanks,
Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 01:39:08 AM »
Can you experts out there suggest a few good references for a newbie like me? 

You could do a lot worse than get Neil Harpe's book on old Stella guitars.  It comes with a CD of Neil playing different models that are all illustrated in the book.
www.stellaguitars.com
Barbecue Bob

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 04:07:44 AM »
I often look at guitars on eBay in the hope of finding a bargain of this ilk, but without success. 

Just bought a Columbus parlor guitar made in the Lyon & Healy factory between 1910 and 1930.  Needs a bit of repair, but I have high hopes.  It has beautiful cherry wood back and sides.  Maybe I can post some pictures when I receive it and get it fixed.
Barbecue Bob

dabluz

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 05:50:00 AM »
i have purchased two lakesides off ebay and looking at the back it's a dead ringer. both of mine had a label inside "lakeside music company, chicago illinois" binding, color, neck heel plate. all identicle. they were made for lakeside music by lyon and healy. really good sounding parlor's. ladder braced. i had one with tail piece and one with pyramid bridge. i was never completely sure the the pyramid bridge was original as there was no bridge plate. string ends rested on 1 inch wide thin brace running all the way across the top. now the secret is up and lakesides will probably increase in price on ebay.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal