collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ain't it nice to be nice when you can be nice - Jim Jackson

Author Topic: August 16, 1938  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: August 16, 1938
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 06:01:12 AM »
Quite a discussion so far from such a "simple" topic start. Robert Johnson was most likely buried in a unmarked grave at a unknown cemetery. Probably laid to rest between the hobos and the drifters as was explained by John Hammond jr. in "The Search For Robert Johnson". At that time he was just a musician passing through.

if I can understand the trajectory of an artist's life, from beginning to end, including where he/she's buried, the better I can understand the music. You can't do that if you separate the art from the artist.

I don't agree. Take Bo Carter for example. Carter's song subjects had nothing in common with his own life or persona. According to his brother Sam he had no interest whatsoever in skirt-chasing not even partying. For some musicians or people in general, the more you know about a person the less you understand him.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 06:35:31 AM »
spoken: Baby, I don't care where you bury my
body when I'm dead and gone

Offline CF

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 07:06:40 AM »
They did a paternity case in which RJ's millions of dollars estate was rewarded to a guy who's aunt said she saw RJ sleep with his mother. That's it. No DNA testing. Because the story was seemingly embarrassing to the senior woman telling it it HAD to be true. Never mind that the guy could have been someone else named RJ or a guy pretending to be him! When it comes to RJ, folks, don't expect reality or truth. Remember, Honeyboy Edwards, Sonny Boy II, they were all there the night he died!
He's become a ghoulish reference. Thank god the music remains & is excellent
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:22:59 AM by CF »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
Remember, Honeyboy Edwards, Sonny Boy II, they were all there the night he died!

Could be true that Edwards was really present on that night but he's notorious for jiving blues scholars.
When Alan Lomax met him in 41' he was claiming to Big Joe Williams (Elijah Wald, Escaping The Delta).

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »
My apologies to tinpanallygurl.  I was attempting to quote something from a message, mistakenly hit edit, and the message ended being deleted.  I would restore the message but the text was lost.  Tinpanallygurl, re-post please to send your message again.  Sorry about that!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 03:41:07 AM »
I've been to all three proposed burial sites for RJ.
I've also studied the interviews and official information from forms.
I believe that the evidence available weighs overwhelmingly towards Money Road site....

In the case of Willie Brown, there are three sites possible for him also but I believe it is the Farrell site that holds his body.
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal