collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's cool to change chords and all, but you really don't have to. - Corey Harris, teaching a workshop at PT 2009

Author Topic: Bessie on HBO  (Read 3652 times)

Offline wreid75

Bessie on HBO
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »
Bessie Smith is being played by Queen Latifah and Ma Rainey is being played by Mo' Nique.  I am hoping that this doesn't suck.

http://queenlatifah.com/fun/entertainment/queen-latifah-hbo-films-bessie-smith/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3704352/

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Bessie on HBO
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »
There maybe a Full Cast & Crew but not one citation for Chris Albertson. Hmm

Offline David Kaatz

Bessie Smith biopic in the works
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered already. Heard about it on NPR. Starring Queen Latifah! Who actually probably has the talent to pull off the singing, and maybe the acting as she has been doing light movie roles for a while now.
http://www.npr.org/2015/04/28/402850016/how-bessie-smith-ushered-in-the-jazz-age

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
Re: Bessie Smith biopic in the works
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
And it unfortunately appears as if no one gives a flying *$&#.  Sad really sad

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 06:48:43 AM »
Topics merged.

I'm sure lots of people will be keen to see this project, and I'll be curious to see how it's all treated. I hope it has more substance than that Christian McBride interview though.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »
Queen Latifah can sing really well.  She did some terrific Jazz singing in the movie "Living Out Loud" from a few years back.  And as Dave said, she's a natural at acting.  I'm not normally a huge fan of biopics, especially of musicians or artists, but it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
No question about QL's talent. As John says, it was prominent in "Living Out Loud." Hopefully the production will be faithful to Bessie's life and talent as well. We don't get HBO, but the film will be probably be available at some point, and I look forward to watching it. In the meantime:

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »
I found the Christian McBride interview depressing as I invariably do when jazz people talk about the Blues. More Blues people need to speak up and speak to the great differences between the two musics rather than whatever family resemblance jazz musicians insist is there.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline iwbiek

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:16:06 AM »
I found the Christian McBride interview depressing as I invariably do when jazz people talk about the Blues. More Blues people need to speak up and speak to the great differences between the two musics rather than whatever family resemblance jazz musicians insist is there.
Amen!  I'm so sick of blues being talked about as if it were nothing more than an antecedent of jazz.  People tend to forget that not all blues players approved of jazz or even considered it real music.  Wolf scornfully referred to jazz as "bleep-blop."  Little Walter apparently could match jazz trumpeters (or saxophonists? can't remember) note for note on harmonica, yet never condescended to record any jazz.  And Muddy said WHO was blues's baby?  Wasn't jazz...  Yet to hear jazz musicians and jazz critics, you would think blues was the John the Baptist to jazz's Jesus Christ.  Jazz is considered great simply because much of it is so esoteric (read: unlistenable) that people are afraid they might be stupid if they don't stand in awe of it.

Offline iwbiek

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »
I'm just afraid this is going to perpetuate the "Ma Rainey kidnapped Bessie and taught her everything she knew" myth.  There's way to much emphasis on the guru relationship in careless blues scholarship already, which detracts from the originality of the artists.  I'm talking about rubbish like dividing early Chicago blues into those influenced by Charley Patton, like Wolf. and those influenced by Son House, like Muddy, as if blues can be divided into neat little "schools" with "founders."

Everything I've read about Bessie tells me she played disciple to nobody, nor would she ever train anyone to "chop her head" later on.

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
Amen!  I'm so sick of blues being talked about as if it were nothing more than an antecedent of jazz.  People tend to forget that not all blues players approved of jazz or even considered it real music.  Wolf scornfully referred to jazz as "bleep-blop."  Little Walter apparently could match jazz trumpeters (or saxophonists? can't remember) note for note on harmonica, yet never condescended to record any jazz.  And Muddy said WHO was blues's baby?  Wasn't jazz...  Yet to hear jazz musicians and jazz critics, you would think blues was the John the Baptist to jazz's Jesus Christ.  Jazz is considered great simply because much of it is so esoteric (read: unlistenable) that people are afraid they might be stupid if they don't stand in awe of it.

You need to listen to more Jazz! Billie Holiday is unlistenable?!?! :)

I'm looking forward to this, hope it's a good production
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
 I've hated every musical biopic I've ever seen, because it's never about the music (Which is what I'm interested in)
 It's never about the musical evolution of the performer(s),  who played on what record, who wrote and arranged songs, where the songs came from, the "process" of how it became finished product, etc.

It's always about who they slept with, what they ate for breakfast, their unhappy childhood, their unhappy marriages, drug or alcohol problems, they got ripped off....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
  What a yawn.

Biopics about Musical Artists are extremely formulaic, to say the least

I get HBO and I'll watch it, but I have no illusions about it being anything other than what I've described, above

Offline iwbiek

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 11:38:16 AM »

No, of course not.  I love Billie Holiday.  Love Ella too.  And Nina Simone.  And Mose Allison is one of my all-time favorites.  I was mostly talking about the endless jamming of instrumental jazz, be-bop in particular but even dixieland is often guilty of this.  This is precisely the type of jazz that people like to get snooty about.  I don't hate ALL instrumental jazz: Miles has moments, particularly on Porgy and Bess, and I like Django and Charlie Christian, but so much of it is just...unlistenable.  Except maybe as background while you're working around the house or something.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 04:54:31 PM »

...  I was mostly talking about the endless jamming of instrumental jazz, be-bop in particular but even dixieland is often guilty of this. 

Not that there's ever any endless jamming when listening to blues, right?
 ;)

Offline iwbiek

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:13:52 AM »

Not that there's ever any endless jamming when listening to blues, right?
 ;)

Sure there is, but if you can dance to Miles Davis's "Jack Johnson" album, you must be from another dimension! ;)

Seriously, though, in my experience blues fans are, on the whole, less pretentious than jazz fans (especially jazz fans that talk condescendingly about the blues), so they're more likely to acknowledge an artist is taking it too far.  Buddy Guy is often rightly criticized for his never-ending instrumentals (and I love Buddy Guy), and, as has been pointed out many times before, if you can honestly sit in an easy chair and listen to one of John Lee's late '70s "endless boogie" numbers, appreciating every nuance of 8+ minutes of one chord, without your mind wandering, you should be breaking codes for the military.  Of course, that's the reason why John Lee keeps saying, "We can boogie, we can dance all night, good party record, etc."--it's not supposed to be listened to sitting down, looking oh-so-hip, with shades on!

I don't know, maybe the demise of the 78 is to be blamed for all this: in the old days, it was 3 minutes and you're done!  (Well, most of the time...)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal