collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A woman's love is like the morning dew. It's as apt to land on a horse turd as it is a rose. - Larry McMurtry, Leaving Cheyenne

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 58486 times)

Offline Deadeye Don

• Howdy!
    • Don Fitzwater - Roots Music & More!
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2005, 10:27:03 AM »
Well, it isn't as cool as those vintage L-00 Black beauties, but I'm pretty happy with my latest acquistion.

A 1999 Nick Lucas Reissue in Vintage Sunburst. I bought it used and the previous owner had not only played it (thus improving the sound) he also replaced the plastic nut and saddle with bone versions (also improving the sound). I just recently gigged out with this guitar and got lots of compliments on the sound. That coupled with how nice it plays has sure made me a happy camper. 

attached are a couple of photos:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 10:58:28 PM by Deadeye Don »
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Red Auerbach

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »
DD:

That looks like a real beauty. What's the scale length?

Alex

Offline Deadeye Don

• Howdy!
    • Don Fitzwater - Roots Music & More!
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2005, 07:23:12 PM »
DD:

That looks like a real beauty. What's the scale length?

Alex

Thanks! I think it is a pretty little box myself.

The scale length is 24-3/4", width at the nut is approximately 1-23/32".

It is supposed to be a copy of the Nick Lucas model guitar of 1928-early 1930's but it does differ in that it is a 14 fret to the body rather than a 13 fret to the body guitar like the original model, from my reading that is... Since I don't have one of the "real" ones laying around I can't measure things to compare how this "reissue" stacks up against an original issue model. But I like the guitar plenty good enough as it is, I guess. Gibson lists it as a Nick Lucas Special (L-00 Variant). So it isn't the original thing but it still is a good thing if you catch my meaning... ;D

And I really like the vintage sunburst - the finish on this critter is very thin - this is definitely not an overspray victim. I suspect that also contributes to the nice sound of this box.

Don
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Red Auerbach

Offline Wailing Wolf

• Howdy!
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2005, 02:44:41 PM »
Apart from Ari Eisinger's brilliant exposition of tasty licks Stamford Guitar Festival was redolent with temptation in the form of certain instrument purveyors, including www.allguitars.com who displayed an intriguing pair of parlour guitars by Fred Welker of Nashville, model Foden O.  This builder makes classic styles such as 000, dreadnought, jumbo etc. but very much with his own take on the look.

Always open to temptation, I gave them a try and took to the cedar top version (the other one was spruce top) but lacked the essential at the time.

However having won heavily at craps (only joking) I have now done the deed and got the beast, and very lively it is too.  Tried out at the local "open mike" (folksong session) and all were impressed with the bright sound & projection.  It's a great guitar for Piedmont style picking.

John at Allguitars who are the UK distributors for Welker provided a friendly and personal service and we had a great deal.

Trouble is it still hasn't cured my Martin addiction.  What sort of therapy is available for this?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2005, 10:35:34 PM »
There is no cure. I'm sorry. The addiction has become way more devastating since the addition of 12 fret slotheads to the entire range.

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »
Howdy:

Well, this week my latest GAS temptation arrived, an 2001 Martin OM-21. The previous owner had recut the headstock to a  squarer more vintage profile, and had the neck recountoured to a  slight V, and well as added gold Gotoh tuners. All nice modifications.

Spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides, plain tortise shell (imitation) binding and plain soundhole rosette. 1 3/4" nut.

The neck is a bit thin compared to the L-00 I play most, but it's comfortable for songs with long streaches (Frank Stokes for example).

It's got a B-Band pickup. Tried it out at an open stage couple o' night ago, sounds nice, poss. a bit trebley.

Not a nick on it. nice spruce top I'm pretty pleased. I'll post a pic this weekend.

Mr. Front Page, don't you have something to tell us here?

Alex

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2006, 04:01:26 PM »
Hi, all.

We paid off the mortgage and simultaneously came into a small sum of money, and my wife said "why don't you buy yourself a treat".

As a result, I took delivery of a Fraulini Erma 2 weeks ago.  It's a gorgeous little guitar: mahogany neck, back, and sides, spruce top, ebony fingerboard and bridge.  The fingerboard is 1 13/16, and the neck is a nice rounded V, thicker than anything you could buy in a mass-produced guitar today but, I think, a little thinner than you would have bought in a mass-produced guitar in 1920.  Oh, and a lovely radiused back.

Most importantly, it's got a beautiful, clear, even tone.  It's very hard to put down!

There's really only one problem.  Now I want to take out another mortgage so we can pay it off and I can get an Angelina 12 string.   :)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »
Awright david!  -- congrats on paying off the mortgage AND the new guitar!  Todd really does some great work --- love the lefty he has on his front page.

Cheers & a Salud!

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2006, 10:02:20 PM »
I just read this quote on Tim O'Brien's website, and seemed like a good fit for this thread.

"Charles Sawtelle always said that a car or a house or an instrument will find you, if you let it. .....  Charles also said older instruments will teach you how to play them, and I've learned some good country songs from this guitar."
Cheers,
FrontPage

rpg51

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2006, 03:39:58 PM »
Here is a link to some shots and a description of a new Greven L-00v I have on the way.  Its been a long wait.  But it won't be long now. 

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7495

http://grevenguitars.com/clients/rob.htm

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »
Hoeey:

Here is a link to some shots and a description of a new Greven L-00v I have on the way.  Its been a long wait.  But it won't be long now. 

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7495

http://grevenguitars.com/clients/rob.htm

Boy, that's a beauty!! If it sounds 1/2 as nice, it'll be great.

Alex

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2006, 05:30:28 PM »
holy moly, rpg51, that is one beautiful gitfiddle. If I was you, I'd be tearing up just looking at it.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »
What eye-candy, absolutely gorgeous - the sunburst is spectacular.

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2006, 07:59:25 PM »
Yeow! >:(

Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2006, 10:32:18 AM »
Howdy:

Well I just got my latest aquisition back from the luthier. It's a 1952 Gibson J-50. Natural finish spruce top, mahogany back, sides and neck. Scale 24 7/8, nut width 1 11/16. A round shouldered dreadnaught.

The top has some pretty bad scratches and is heavily checked. The neck is in good shape, mod. thickness "D" shape. Comfortable. The short scale and 1 11/16 neck make it perfect for tunes with llong streaches or with C tunes with need to fret low E string with thumb.

Sounds great, nice full base. Bass overwhelms treble in fingerpicking very melodic tunes, but for rhythmic stuff, it's perfect.

My rational for buying is that I wanted a guitar made in the same year as I was born. Mercy, I'm easy to fool.

Alex

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal