collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Take Back Your Heart, I Ordered Liver! - a jazz title without the actual song, according to Dave Van Ronk - Elijah Wald

Author Topic: Glory of Love-Version 1-barefingered  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Glory of Love-Version 1-barefingered
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Well done, fellas. You both make Big Bill proud!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
It just occured to me that Forum member Gerry Clarke does a charming version of the song too:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=5548.0

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »
Just finished listening to the Copenhagen concert and was struck by Big Bill's comments before Sixteen Tons, regarding having or making or living in a "Free World". My red diaper baby radar went up upon hearing those words and noting that this performance was in 1956, and that Bill must have been aware of the fates that befell Josh White and Paul Robeson, Pete Seeger and others, I can't help but think that he got some "friendly"
advice to mention being in favor of the free world or other pro American type buzz words in order to expiate the sins of having taken the left's coin for the preceding several years? In other words he was probably scared into doing it.  The wording is amorphous enough to perhaps be calculated to also appeal to lefties who would be expecting some reference to civil rights too. Interesting. Its the least successful performance of the set unfortunately. He records it much more successfully on other sessions.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
I believe the m7 chord in the bridge is in the real book version of Glory of Love.  I play a dropped D version a la Spence, but I added in the m7.  Maybe I can record something.  New territory for me.  Stand by.

Dave

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
I believe the m7 chord in the bridge is in the real book version of Glory of Love.  I play a dropped D version a la Spence, but I added in the m7.  Maybe I can record something.  New territory for me.  Stand by.

OK, here is my take on GOL.  Recorded on crappy built in microphones on my laptop.  No sound SW other than what comes w/Windows 7, converted to MP3 using iTunes.
Sound is so poor, its not worth talking about what kind of guitar, etc.  Enjoy!
Dave
ps.  Thanks for the link to the Broonzy record, GOL sounds really great.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 07:05:03 AM »
Nice job, all of youse. This one sure does get into your brain, don't it.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »
Just finished listening to the Copenhagen concert and was struck by Big Bill's comments before Sixteen Tons, regarding having or making or living in a "Free World". My red diaper baby radar went up upon hearing those words and noting that this performance was in 1956, and that Bill must have been aware of the fates that befell Josh White and Paul Robeson, Pete Seeger and others, I can't help but think that he got some "friendly"
advice to mention being in favor of the free world or other pro American type buzz words in order to expiate the sins of having taken the left's coin for the preceding several years? In other words he was probably scared into doing it.  The wording is amorphous enough to perhaps be calculated to also appeal to lefties who would be expecting some reference to civil rights too. Interesting. Its the least successful performance of the set unfortunately. He records it much more successfully on other sessions.

I've always felt that Big Bill was very capable in the arts of irony and sarcasm. Could that be an alternative take on this?

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
I think there's always that edge in what he says, but this felt gratuitous, unnatural and somewhat scripted.
I'm guessing he wanted to stay on the right side of the state department to insure his ability to keep his passport and his relatively lucrative overseas gigs. Robeson had his passport revoked,
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
First of all I'd like to compliment on Davek's great version. I like your bass lines on your arrangement. Was that in dropped D?

Secondly, I remembered that Glory of Love and the Danish recordings had been discussed before, so here is the link to the discussion: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=5911.0

And last and definitely least here's my lame attempt to the song. I need to go back woodshedding, that seems to be the first thing you notice when you record something.  :-XvSorry for the poor recording quality too, I need to figure out where the hum comes from...And to learn how to sing this friggin' tune in the first place and...

Cheers

pan

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »
Pan - yes, my version is in drop D.
I like yours too - your very active bass lines are great.  I think that 'hum' is just room ambience from cheap miking.  But what do I know - mine sounds like crap sonically.  Your singing is fine.

Dave

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »
Can't remember if I posted this elsewhere on WC - video version.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal