collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
They call me Lazy, God knows I'm only tired - Lazy Lester

Author Topic: Prestige discography, here's 1962...good year  (Read 652 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:28:29 PM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Prestige discography, here's 1962...good year
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Phil.  So many sessions!  There's some mind-blowing stuff there, like the Pete Franklin and Scrapper Blackwell albums both being recorded on the same day.  By the looks of it, most records back then were recorded in one day, and in several instances, two albums by the same musician in one day--it's as though they only stopped tape to start a new song!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »
From wikipedia on Prestige records:

"Weinstock was known for encouraging the performances to be unrehearsed for a more authentic, exciting sound. To this effect, Prestige Records, unlike[/size] [/size]Blue Note Records[/size], would not pay musicians for rehearsals. Another Weinstock practice, of rewinding the tapes after "bad" takes, has resulted in very few alternate takes surfacing from the classic Prestige years."
[/size]
[/size]I have to say that other than taping over the "out takes" I largely approve of this approach to recording, and the proof is in the pudding in Prestige's case. I aways sort of thought of Prestige as a "cutout" bin label, but after looking at their release roster from 1960-65 I'm hard pressed to think of another label with this kind of depth. If it were only a Jazz label it would have to be in contention for the best, but add to that the Blues releases which I'm quite sure no other label would touch, and the Folk stuff from the likes of Ramblin' Jack Eliot, Sam Charters, Danny Kalb, Dave Van Ronk, Eric Von Schmidt, Tom Rush, Mike Seeger, The Charles River Valley Boys, Bonny Dobson and I don't think there's another label that compares. Folkways maybe, but maybe not in terms of the overall quality of artists, that would be a tough one to sort out. Great that we had both, and Vanguard and Columbia too.
[/size]
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline jopoke

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »
Now if we could only get the oop prestige albums reissued!

Offline RB

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
I notice--in the first of those discographies--that the Clay and Scott street singer recording (Bluesville 1066) is noted as made in NYC, which I don't think is correct.  Should be Philadelphia, I think.  And noted to be made in '1962?' Didn't I recently note how much I like this record--which (though I was listening and buying Prestige Records by 1966 or so) I didn't hear until about 2000 (when I bought a Testament CD of same). 

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal