collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Use your instrument to play the blues. Don't use the blues to play your instrument - James Harman

Author Topic: Resonators: "Republic" or "Hot Rod" Guitars. That's the question...  (Read 10788 times)

Offline SouthernSounds

Hello folks:

I'm new here and I write these lines (which i hope, they are in the right place), because I'm captivated by the "steel sound" of the resonator guitars. I've been reading for a while about the differences between the designs and the materials, in terms to have an idea of what i want and how "i want to sound".

So after reading in this site and other similar, i figured out that I want to have a Tricone, among the mid price range. And from all the info that it's possible to find in the web, now I'm choosing between the Republic Guitars -Model #200-(http://www.republicguitars.com/guitarsotherproducts.html) and Hot Rod (http://www.nationalguitar.com/hot-rod-steel/HOTROD-Chrome-tricone).

And you probably are asking yourself, what is his point... Well, i came to you, to this space to ask for your help, your experience and your advices. Why? Well, because where i live (Chile), i don't have the chance to prove them and there is not much info about this wonderful instrument.

So, if you were in my place: Which one would you choose? Why? Have you tried it?

Any help will be highly appreciated...

Thanks in advance. Kindly from Chile,

Bruno

* I've started this new topic because most of the topics that i found are a little bit old and no many of them are related with "Hot Rod Guitars"
* Sorry for those who find this post pretty similar to other in another site. I just want to have opinions...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:06:09 PM by SouthernSounds »
"I have nothing against the progress, but when the death progresses I prefer to live Indian" - El Patara, Arak Pacha

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Resonators: "Republic" or "Hot Rod" Guitars. That's the question...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Hi Bruno:

I haven't played either, but in addition to Weenie Campbell, you might ask over at the IGS forum. Here's the link to the main page and to a recent thread:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/gs/viewforum.php?f=1

http://www.guitarseminars.com/gs/viewtopic.php?t=6254&highlight=hot+rod

Welcome to Weenie Campbell!

Offline SouthernSounds

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »
Hi Stuart:

Thanks for your welcome, answer and your suggestion. Actually, I'm registered on IGS, but i have to wait for the activation's account...

Anyway, thank you!.

Kindly, B.
"I have nothing against the progress, but when the death progresses I prefer to live Indian" - El Patara, Arak Pacha

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:36:01 PM »
At a guess they are both made in China, so don't be fooled by the Nationalguitar bit on Lenny's site. Very hard to say which to go for without seeing or hearing, I think as Stuart says you really need to do the forums and pick the bones out of what is said good and bad.

You could also go to  www.michaelmesser.co.uk which often has comments on new guitars, if you were after a single cone I would have no hesitation in recccccccommending one of his as they  very good value - I don't think he does a tricone though.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
Hi Bruno:

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help. There have been some posts over at IGS on the behalf of others lamenting the inability of either logging in or registering as a new member. I don't know what the current state of affairs is, but you may have to wait a bit, so be patient.

That said, if you can't get on the IGS forum in a reasonable amount of time, I can always copy the relevant parts of your post here and post it over at IGS. You won't be able to respond at IGS, but it may generate some useful info.

From what I can tell, both MM and Lenny have guitars built to their specs in China and then have them fine tuned and set up once they arrive in the UK and U.S. respectively. The people who own them and play them are the ultimate arbiters of how they sound and play--in other words, the people whose opinions you are seeking.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
Just to say I have a Republic tricone and it's absolutely fine value for the money. Has a great pickup too. Did need some tweaking on the set up though. MM or Busker guitars are great value too, though as Richard says, I only know their single cones. I've read on IGS that Lenny's guitars are decent for the money too.

Offline SouthernSounds

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
Thank you guys for your time and comments...

@Richard & Prof Scratchy: Have you heard or read something about the Busker 'Deco? The Tricone model of Busker Guitars...

That said, if you can't get on the IGS forum in a reasonable amount of time, I can always copy the relevant parts of your post here and post it over at IGS. You won't be able to respond at IGS, but it may generate some useful info.

Thanks Stuart! I'll let you know, depending how the things progresses...

Thanks again folks! Kindly,

B.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
No, sorry- haven't heard tell of the Busker tricone.

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:24:51 AM »
I can vouch for the republics being excellent value also. I think the guitars Lenny sells are likely in the same class but what he's done is import a lower cost model (compared to National) and give them a great setup, new saddle or some type of "tune up". So for example, if you buy a decent budget resonator and perform a nice setup you've basically done the same thing. I would also advise you to look around at used Nationals as well. I've seen some fantastic deals that made my jaw drop. One other thing to consider, that is saving your money a little bit longer and buying a real National. It will always be the smartest move in the long run. I also own a Donmo made by Don Morrison, and although I had to perform a lot of initial setup to the guitar it's one of my all time favorite tricones, especially tonally. One other idea that came to mind. You are remote, so you're going to have to get it right the first time. Again think National, they actually may be the more expensive but also could still be the best value. You'll be putting your heart and soul into that instrument. You dont want one that's going to be less than great 20 years from now.

Offline SouthernSounds

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
Hi guys. Thanks for your words.

@ LB: I understand your point and you're right. Actually that's the reason why I'm thinking in Lenny's Guitar, i want something good at first sight, without to make any adjust, which I doubt anyone in Chile can do well, and i insist i don't have any previous experience with resos... But give the jump to a National it's a little complicated... Not considering they're a lot more expensive, my "problem" is: this would be my first resonator and I'm not sure if want to spent such amount of money in a kind of experiment. I really like the sound, but this is some kind of challenge, i want to learn (i know that for that purpose i can use whatever guitar), and under that idea in mind, I'm not sure if a want to spent a lot of money...

Thanks for the advise... Do you have any site to recommend related with that kind of awesome deals?

@ Toby: Thanks for your time Toby.

Off Topic: What a version of "Sadie Mae". Beautiful Guitar...

Again, thanks to everybody. Kindly,

B.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
I think - only think - that the Busker and MM guitars may come the same factory, I could be wrong.

However, I do know MM (and I'm not on commission ) and that he takes care to sort his guitars out before they are sent to customers, that said Lenny may well do the same.

Of course an NRP will get you better quality but at a price, I feel you really ought to solicit opions of those that actually have the guitars and not us soapbox pundits!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
Hi Southern,

I agree with the comment Toby made. The reasoning in buying the National is that you CAN actually get your money back out. That is especially true with used ones which in many cases are just like a new one, barely played. But I will let you learn that lesson just like many of us have. I just wish I had all the money I have lost buying less than I truly wanted and reselling. But I dont want to beat you up on this. I went through the same problems you are in trying to decide which brand, style, cone type, body material, finish. So I made this web page that tries to help people like you, and me make a better choice the first time. I am so glad for example I held off pulling the trigger on a National M1. The tone is not for me. The Polychrome tricones with their powder coated insides and tone, again, not for me, way too warm and muddy. The Delphi yet another single cone that's far too twangy, thin and bright. Then I found the El Trovador and MAGIC!!!! I also found the tricone Donmo with the steel body has the absolute perfect slide sound for me. Hang in there, the only thing I can say is take your time and you'll make a better choice, look for deals too. I've seen barely used Nationals go for 900, 1100, 1300 and recently I found a tricone M1 which is a new fantastic model for 1600 barely used. Sorry for the long post... Just want to be helpful.

Here's the web page on choosing the right model, type.
http://www.littlebrotherblues.com/Gear/ResoHunt/index.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:23:44 PM by LB »

Offline SouthernSounds

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 05:35:18 PM »
Hi guys!

Quote from: Richard
(...) I feel you really ought to solicit opions of those that actually have the guitars and not us soapbox pundits!

Jjajajaja. OK, OK. Thank you Richard... Thanks for your opinion  :D

@ LB: Man, what can i say... Thanks for you work and that site. It's the great value for a beginner like me... Actually, after I've read that info, i confirmed my idea of buy a Tricone. But, at the same time, i realized that i would preffer a steel body more than a brass body... Whatever, great work! I appreciate it!!!

@ Toby: You're welcome! And thanks for the welcome. Sorry about the redundancy  :)

My dear Weenies, seems that I'm gonna wait a little time to have some reso in my hands. We'll see if i can beat my anxiety. Anyway, looks like the best decision is to purchase a real one...

Thanks for your impressions, kindly

B.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:36:28 PM by SouthernSounds »

Offline Wesley

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
I have a Republic Uke and I've been very pleased with it - considering the price.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »
I once tried out an all-metal, far east manufactured, resophonic ukulele in my local music shop. Unfortunately, it had been in direct sunshine in the window and to say it buzzed would be the understatement of the century.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal