collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Blues is for gut-bucket people who run around with only half their clothes on - Reverend Gary Davis

Author Topic: Gus Cannon's Walk Right In  (Read 2406 times)

Offline zoner

Gus Cannon's Walk Right In
« on: February 27, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »
Have any of you folks heard the version of "Walk Right In" that's being used for the Great Clips radio ads?  Can't help but wonder if Gus Cannon's estate is getting royalties for the use of his tune (also wonder what he would have thought of it!).

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: Gus Cannon's Walk Right In
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
Yeah, I've Heard That

I'm Pretty Sure Gus Cannon Got Cheated Out Of The Royalties When That Band Whose Name I Do Not Remember Covered It In The Sixties, So I'm Guessing Not.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:33:38 PM »
Actually, I think Gus was compensated by the Roof Top Singers. He released an albumof his own that same year, 1963.

If you want to read more about Gus's rediscovery years, click on the tag I just added.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
My 45 of the British top 10 hit by the Rooftops has the composer credit of Darling/Svanoe. I wonder if that still holds today? I think there's another thread somewhere which discusses the Darling/Svanoe part in the Stax recording. Haven't got time to see if it's been tagged.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:26:17 AM »
Did anyone ever persuade the Rooftops to jump?
Was, however, the very first time I ever heard a 12 string. And I still use the first three notes to tune my guitar.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 11:01:03 AM »
Did anyone ever persuade the Rooftops to jump?
Wonderful. Provided a much needed belly laugh after a tiresome day.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:14:31 AM »
The following is from the topic elsewhere discussing the Stax CD (see Gus Cannon tags). It's extracted from the review of same by Neil Slaven and rather out of context here but:

"The booklet reproduces Bob Altshuler's original sleevenote and a newer, longer piece by Bengt Olsson in which he writes, 'From what I can find out, Gus received nothing in royalties from (the Rooftop Singers' hit version of) Walk Right In' and he just knew he was being cheated out of a fortune! 'Well, let's blow that one out of the water, right now. Jim O'Neal researched the pages of the Memphis Commercial Appeal, in which he found several references to this album's production. On February 16, 1963 ('Walk Right In' hit the US No. 1 spot in the week ending January 26), it reports that Erik Darling and Willard Svenoe of the Rooftop Singers visited Gus, got his banjo out of pawn, paid him $500 and got him to sign a royalty agreement. How much he subsequently received is anyone's guess but this sounds like straight-arrow behaviour to me.
Jim Stewart read the first story and signed Gus to a contract on the strength of it. A warm-up session, at which Gus was backed by nephew Sam Lindsey on guitar and Milton Roby on violin, took place on March 23, the evening before the first recording date. Later on April 26, the Appeal notes that 'sessions were finished last week'. The album was then released on July 17 and Gus was shown '500 of the albums in a storeroom at Satellite Record Shop'. He wasn't to know these were the only 500."

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
Thanks, Bunk. That's the story I remembered. I just didn't have time to follow my own tag.-G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 01:31:40 PM »
Actually, I think Gus was compensated by the Roof Top Singers. He released an albumof his own that same year, 1963.

If you want to read more about Gus's rediscovery years, click on the tag I just added.

All for now.
John C.

Really? Hmm.

Yeah I've Listened To That 1963 "Walk Right In" Album I Like It But I Don't Know Of Many Others Who Appreciate It.

Tags: Gus Cannon 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal