<< < (6/6)

Blues Vintage:
Tom Feldmann did one song.

Brownskin Woman (Sam Chatmon) - Lesson Trailer

Brownskin Woman (Sam Chatmon) - Lesson Trailer

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/brownskinwomansamchatmon

Johnm:
Hi Harry,
I have a slew of Sam Chatmon songs transcribed and available for lessons at my website. Go to johnmillerguitar.com in the Teaching section to see what's available.
All best,
Johnm

harriet:

--- Quote from: Johnm on March 14, 2016, 05:53:20 PM ---
   * How to Learn a Piece from a Recording  The best way for this to be done would be for the instructor to be hit cold with songs in the studio that he/she did not know he/she would have to learn on camera, with only a recording of a song as a starting point.  I think it would be exciting to watch, but would also be hugely helpful in terms of giving insight into the process of learning by ear from recordings--what you listen for and establish first, how you deal with problem passages, etc.

All best,
Johnm     

--- End quote ---

I don't have new ideas but I have taken SKYPE slide guitar lessons where the instructor listened and broke down the song at the time of the lesson which is along the lines of the quote. It was helpful in learning to write tabs, ear training, attempting to develop a method of learning and spotting dominant trends in the song being studied, from watching him - found it especially helpful in studying Fred Mcdowell where there is alot of shifting.

Rivers:
Another angle might be (he suggested nervously), writing and playing in a traditional style a modern song, preferably self-penned lyrics & instrumentation, or perhaps a lyric cover with changed-up instrumentals. Secondary objective for pros might be to win a Grammy or two.

The two examples that occurred to me are not an exact fit but maybe illustrative. Strangely enough, both are minor-esque 12 bar blueses.

1 Tracy Chapman's original 1995 recording of "Give Me One Reason". I'm not clear what song existed with that same pulse and general minor 12 bar feel, probably many. Whatever, I still enjoy hearing it nearly 30 years later
1 b). Junior Wells's very fine bluesy cover of "Give Me One Reason". Way more country blues.

Both versions are fabulous in my opinion.

2. Bob Dylan's "You've Got To Serve Somebody" first heard on the album "Slow Train Coming" and my favorite track on it.
2 b) Pops Staples's muy funky cover of it.

I have been thinking about this for a while. At RT's guitar/songwriting camp a couple of weeks ago I was sitting in with a potluck group of new (to me) people having a song circle. Thunder was rolling around the Catskill Mountains behind us. It was my turn so I somewhat wryly started playing my doomy- but swinging- version of Gershwin's "Summertime". After I ran out of Summertime lyrics I segued into "St James Infirmary Blues". Easy stuff in A minor, right? It was surprisingly well received though, and a gentleman that had been standing behind me was very enthusiastic about the mash up, though he didn't know it was a mash up. He thanked me for the performance. We became lifelong friends for a whole week!

Notice the recurring theme of minor bluesy tunes with a great groove and great lyrics. That mode probably lends itself to this sort of "cut and paste, add your own musical personality & get interesting results beyond your own expectations" thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version