collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Always keep your hat on. You know back in those days there was quite a lot of jealous guys in the audience and sometimes you have to run. But, If you got your hat on your head and you have to run, you know you left the house with it - Mississippi John Hurt giving advice to Archie Edwards

Author Topic: Charley Patton 75 Year Anniversary Edition CD/DVD box set  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Charley Patton 75 Year Anniversary Edition CD/DVD box set
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
I'm thinkin of buying the Revenant set but it appears to be sold out at all stores.
But still available at the Revenant site. Anybody knows more on this?

Offline misterjones

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
Worst of all are recordings treated with CEDAR which end up flat, lifeless and compressed.

That was certainly the case 20 years ago.  But I've been listening to some Archeophone releases, such as Real Ragtime, that were CEDARed more recently, and they sound pretty darned good (for old acoustic recordings).  I'm sure the technology has advanced, and I'm also sure that whoever is doing the mastering can adjust just how much filtering is done.  The Archeophone releases have changed my mind about CEDAR and software noise reduction in general, and I now think it can be used with good results.

I was going to mention that in my last post.  I don't know the current state of CEDAR and those who use it, but some of the early Roots N Blues issues using it were dreadful (such as "The Definitive Blind Willie McTell").  NoNoise always struck me as a bit better.  Milestone's Blind Lemon Jefferson used NoNoise, and it isn't dreadful (though the noise reduction is too much for me).  It's a good pick for those who want the noise fully squeezed out of their lemon.  I'm not aware of anyone who has fully applied noise reduction to Patton.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »
I'm thinkin of buying the Revenant set but it appears to be sold out at all stores.

You might contact Revenant directly via the link on their home page.

http://www.revenantrecords.com/index.php?section=contact

What I've heard over the past several years about Revenant is sketchy at best.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:45:49 PM by Stuart »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
Hi all,
I've heard that the various versions of Charlie Patton's recordings that have been marketed commercially, in addition to having sound qualities of different types and being mastered using different processes, contain some excellent music. 
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Hi all,
I've heard that the various versions of Charlie Patton's recordings that have been marketed commercially, in addition to having sound qualities of different types and being mastered using different processes, contain some excellent music. 
All best,
Johnm

Details, details...

Reminds me of something akin to what Yogi Berra once said...

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »

You might contact Revenant directly via the link on their home page.

http://www.revenantrecords.com/index.php?section=contact

What I've heard over the past several years about Revenant is sketchy at best.

I did ask Revenant about the Patton set. Now a month later I never got an answer back.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
Hi Harry:

Well, at least you tried. From what I've heard over the years (mostly via the Yahoo Fahey group), Revenant is in disarray. Occasionally a detail or two would surface, but nothing that shed any light on the real state of affairs.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
I may have noted that the JSP seems to be a copy of the Revenant set and a lot cheaper (though not as "deluxe").  A Patton bio - from the Revenant set? - is on line at http://www.paramountshome.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=57

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 11:19:53 AM »
Yep, that's the bio from the Revenant set.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »
I took a gamble and just ordered the Patton Box from Revenant records. To my suprise I got an e-mail back the next day stating that my order was accepted and was on it's way to my residence. I got it today in perfect condition. I must say the hype about the Box justified. It's simply extraordinary in every way. The enormous details are almost bizarre.

So Revenant still has a few copies for a reasonable price (150). Prices at Amazon are much higher right now.

Offline jostber

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »
The product code has "YAZ" in it, but I don't know for a fact that the disc is from Yazoo. Hmm...
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »
Nothing on the Yazoo site that I could see, but it looks like it's a re-issue of the Yazoo set--perhaps not by Yazoo, but by a company that focuses on vinyl re-issues.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »
I previously looked for indications of the source material for these (and other similar records) and found none.  If vinyl re-issues are sourced from CDs, I don't see the point.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
The documentary of this set "Talkin' Charley Patton" can be seen right here;

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:14:10 PM by harry klook »

Tags: Charlie Patton  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal