collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well as a man he was a good natured fellow to meet, very kind. Well thought of and everybody liked him, wouldn't do nobody no harm at all. He do like most blind men do when they have a family or wife, do all they can to take care of them - Rev. Gary Davis describes Blind Boy Fuller, in Oh, What A Beautiful City

Author Topic: Prof.Scratchy- Hunkie Tunkie  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Prof.Scratchy- Hunkie Tunkie
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »
For the sake of transparency I should say that I have enjoyed Prof Scratchy's company and playing at several Euroweenie weekends.  I am going to try to write this review as if that were not the case but its right that I disclose my potential bias.

This is a fine CD by Prof Scratchy who's Youtube recordings (solo and with his playing partner) have previously garnered many fans.  Throughout the CD runs a rawness to the sound, both vocally and in terms of the guitar playing, which won't be to everyone's taste but is absolutely to mine.  Scratchy sings with a powerful nasal drawl which is utterly distinctive whilst being personal and sitting naturally in the country blues genre.

The album features a selection of guitars, every one of which seems to be something of a beast.  Tracks including the opener- Charlie Jordan's Hunkie Tunkie and a pair of classic Mctell tunes (Broke Down Engine and Send me an Angel) feature a big un-named 12-string affectionately known as Boris, and others feature a rasping old National.  These are big old instruments in the hands of someone prepared to let them off the leash to growl and rattle.  Scratchy's picking is solid, with the emphasis on feel and heavy time rather than being clean or clinical.

There are a number of standout tracks.  Country Fool (one of the tunes to feature a National) is an excellent take on Bo Carter's original and a great choice of unsual material.  Scratchy's hard vocal gives the tune a new edge.

Another great choice of unusual material is Ishman Bracey's Saturday Blues.  The prof. really captures the loping groove of the original whilst making it his own.  Of the 12 string numbers, I am probably most partial to Lord Send me an Angel with its strutting groove and another fine vocal.  My only complaint is that I wish it was longer.

This CD may not be to everyone's taste but should certainly suit most weenies (and others with good taste ;)). Its been on near-permanent rotation in my car during the month I've had it.  If you are looking for sparkly clean singer/songwriter guitar picking this isn't the thing you are looking for.  If, however, you like country blues with heavy grooves, big sounds and soul, then this is unlikely to disappoint.  Its low down and dirty, and I love the way it does.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/profscratchy  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:11:21 PM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Prof.Scratchy- Hunkie Tunkie
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »
Really looking forward to hearing this and it's a nice surprise (at least was a surprise to me). I am definitely a Scratchy fan, and he's got the true spirit of the music in his fingers and throat.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:03:04 PM »
Very well put Slim, I couldn't agree more  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:54:09 AM »
Hi all,
I just received Prof. Scratchy's new CD yesterday and have thoroughly enjoyed it thus far.  One thing I particularly like about it is how "lived in" the music sounds.  Without knowing for sure, I'd hazard a guess that Prof. Scratchy has been playing at least some of the songs in the program for a couple of decades, and his deep familiarity with his material makes it all sound like it is coming from the same place--him, which is what I tend to look for in a player.  Prof. Scratchy has his own style, both as a singer and as a player, and that is a musical destination I think most of us would be happy to reach.  Well done!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:31 AM »
I'd hazard a guess that Prof. Scratchy has been playing at least some of the songs in the program for a couple of decades

More than just a couple, I'm afraid -still hoping to get it right one day! Thanks, John, for the kind words!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »
After a couple of spins, I must simply say that this is really, really, really good!

It took me a few moments of awe, just to adjust myself to the strong personality of Allans' performances, but the more I listen, the more I like it. Outstanding work!

Cheers

Pan

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:21:53 AM »
I have been lucky enough to have the CD in my car since the Weenie weekend, and I agree with Pan it is a grower. I think after a blues weekend last thing I want to hear is more guitars, so I parked it for a week, but since then it has been in the CD player a lot, I am really enjoying the 12 string tracks at the moment.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:32:36 AM »
Thanks everybody for your supportive comments.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »
My review has gone off to the magazine and will only be released once it is published.  :-X Can you cope with the excitement?  :P
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 08:36:24 AM »
Whatever it says, thanks for doing it PP!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 03:25:31 AM »
Even if I said it makes a good drinks coaster??  >:D >:D >:D ;D
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 04:38:58 AM »
People like good drinks, don't they?

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 06:05:17 AM »
You do!

Great cd!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »
Hi all,
Just a quick note to say that I've been re-listening to Prof. Scratchy's "Hunkie-Tunkie" CD today, and it continues to sound great!  Any of you who are open to the idea of country blues being performed by present-day musicians owe it to yourselves to pick it up, it's so well done.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 02:04:57 AM »
John's post reminds me I should have included my review, which appeared in "Blues in Britain" magazine a few months ago. So here it is:

"Prof. Scratchy ? Hunkie Tunkie
Cojo Records CD 00011

On this album, Edinburgh-based Prof. Scratchy, aka Allan Jones, takes us on a tour of some of his favourite country blues greats. The choice of material is exceptional, in that he tends to choose some of the more obscure songs recorded by his heroes. He is an outstanding guitarist and on this CD we hear both 6- and 12-string guitars, as well as a single-cone National.

Proceedings kick off with the title track, originally recorded by St. Louis-based bluesman Charley Jordan on which it immediately becomes clear that the good Professor also has a powerful, expressive voice. ?Broke Down Engine? is one of a couple of pieces from the Blind Willie McTell songbook and features an unbranded monster of a 12-string that Allan has christened ?Boris?. I?ve experienced this instrument live a couple of times, and prefer to think of it as ?The Beast?, especially as he tunes it way below concert pitch to get a fabulous growl. It also comes into play on the self-penned instrumental ?Scatchy?s 12-String Messaround?. Other writers covered include Bo Carter, Fred McDowell, Johnny Shines and Ishmon Bracey, all of whom would be proud of the respectful treatment they get here. As a result, no tracks stand out ? all are excellent and this makes for a very enjoyable and varied listening experience.

Available from cdbaby.com.

Rating: 9
Michael Prince"
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 04:12:19 AM »
Many thanks for the mention, John and Michael. The CD hasn't quite gone Platinum yet, but with a few more sales I'm hoping for Tin Foil before Christmas! Meanwhile, in a further effort to wrestle failure from the jaws of success, I'm about to record an album of women's blues with London based singer Marcina Arnold. Any suggestions for an album title gratefully received. (Beauty and the Beast has already been considered and rejected)....

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 04:26:49 AM »
Good luck to you Scratchy... By coincidence I was listening to Hunkie Tunkie this morning on the way to work as well.  As I often do.

As for the new project.... Whiskey and Women combines the two of you in one concept :-)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »
Good luck with the new project, Prof.

Meanwhile, has anyone thought of adding Hunkie Tunkie to the Weenie Juke?

Cheers

Pan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »
Meanwhile, has anyone thought of adding Hunkie Tunkie to the Weenie Juke?

Send me a copy and I'll add it. :)

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
I meant to say before that Lenny of Nationalguitar.com fame had a Prof Scratchy model the other week!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
Lenny's a chancer! Nothing to do with yours truly. Slack PM me your address and I'll pop something in the post...

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
Yes he certainly is, but he is good for a haggle!

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
and since the Pony Express finally delivered my copy of the Scratchy oeuvre I'll add my endorsement....in fact, if you added some tics, pops and crackle, it'd be hard to tell the tracks from some worn Columbia 14000's. Good work, Prof.
best,
bruce

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal