collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things - Big Bill Broonzy

Author Topic: New Pre-war African-American 78s on vinyl: Various - Every Day In The Week  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Hidden Charms Records

• Howdy!
Greetings good folk of Weenie Campbell,

As a longtime follower of this great and often important forum I'm afraid I have to do some shameless self promotion. 
Hidden Charms Records of the Netherlands just released a second volume of rare 78 rpm recordings on vinyl. I'm not one for doing much promotion, but Weenie is a place of aficionados who will actually listen to this stuff. 

"EVERY DAY IN THE WEEK Vol. 2" is a various artist compilation featuring rare African-American 78rpm recordings from 1927-1935.

Like the first volume it's a showcase of the eclectic and diverse African-American music styles recorded in the pre-WW2 era.
This series does not focus on a single style, artist or region, it's more like one was entering a party in 1935 where everybody was putting their favorite records on the gramophone.
From Blues to Hot Jazz and from Gospel to String Bands with Songsters, Jug Bands and Barrelhouse Pianists.

Vol. 2 is a double vinyl gatefold album with a 12 page full color booklet with liner notes and research by Alex Van Der Tuuk (Co-producer of the Rise & Fall of Paramount box-sets).

Besides using 78s from the Hidden Charms collection, I was very lucky to be able to use 78s from the amazing collections of Pete Whelan, Terry Zwigoff and Sherwin Dunner (some of you will know these gentlemen).

- 500 pressed -

If you'd like to know where this and the first volume are available just get in touch, I'd love to hear from ya'll.

Hiddencharms-records@hotmail.com

Cheers,               
Rene B.
The Netherlands

Tracklist:

A.1 Charlie Lincoln - Country Breakdown
A.2 The Two Poor Boys - Take A Look At That Baby
A.3 Mae Glover - Shake it Daddy
A.4 Sam Morgan's Jazz Band - Short Dress Gal
A.5 Chicken Wilson Skeeter Hinton - Myrtle Avenue Stomp
A.6 James Cole's Washboard Four - Sweet Lizzie
A.7 Jabo Williams - Pratt City Blues

B.1 Dallas String Band - So Tired
B.2 Johnnie Head- Fare Thee Blues-part 1
B.3 Willie Baker - Rag Baby
B.4 Henry Son Sims - Be True Be True Blues
B.5 Teddy Darby - Built Right On the Ground
B.6 Buddy Moss - Hard Times Blues
B.7 Johnson Nelson Porkchop - In The Mornin'

C.1 Perry And His Stomp Band - Ash Can Stomp
C.2 Dixie Four - Kentucky Stomp
C.3 Tub Jug Washboard Band ? San
C.4 King David's Jug Band - Tear It Down
C.5 Blythe and Burton - Dustin' The Key
C.6 Sylvester Palmer - Do It Sloppy
C.7 Bee Turner - Rough Treatin' Daddy

D.1 Johnny Temple - The Evil Devil Blues
D.2 Marshall Owens - Try Me One More Time
D.3 Buddy Boy Hawkins - Voice Throwin' Blues
D.4 Daniels & Torrance - I'm Goin' To Tell God How You Doin'
D.5 Slim Duckett And Pig Norwood - I Want To Go Where Jesus Is
D.6 Stump Johnson ( as Snitcher Roberts ) - Snitcher's Blues
D.7 Willie Jackson - Long Time Men

Offline Lastfirstface

I bought a couple copies of the first volume off of you a few years back and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm liking the tracklist for Vol 2. Did you end up finding a distributor in the states?

Offline Hidden Charms Records

• Howdy!
I remember you Peter, nice to hear from you again.
You still at it pickin' the Mandolin and Banjo?

And yes indeed, It's available in the States from and is distributed in the US by Light In The Attic.

All the best,
Rene

Offline Lastfirstface

Glad to see you're still at it, Rene. I'm still playing a lot of banjo and mandolin. I'll have to pick up a copy of the new record when I get a chance.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal