Country Blues > Down the Dirt Road

YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips

<< < (342/346) > >>

Johnm:
Hi all,
I don't know how many of you have had a chance to listen to the George Mitchell Collection on Fat Possum but the performances by the Robert Johnson he had there, with his three daughters singing back-up, made an unforgettable impression on me when I first heard them. Here is their rendition of "Hold My Body Down", and boy, is there something to be said for unison singing sometimes!

All best,
Johnm

Stuart:
FYI: There's a chapter devoted to Robert Johnson in George Mitchell's book, Blow My Blues Away.

Johnm:
Hi all,
This early recording by Louisiana Red, recording as Rocky Fuller, came up on my youtube feed. I had never heard anything from this early in his recording career. I know that a number of you were able to study and spend time with him at the EBA Blues Week or Port Townsend. He was a really nice man and was always scrupulous about giving other musicians credit for their ideas in his teaching, like "Here's how Robert Nighthawk played this lick, here's how Muddy did it", etc. And he was a wonderful singer, right to the end. Here is "Soon One Morning":

All best,
Johnm

islandgal:
There is a documentary about Louisiana Red in his later years. He lived in Germany as he felt he could make a better living there than in the US.

Johnm:
Hi all,
Here is Dad Crockett, from 1929, playing "Sugar Hill". I have always loved this tune and performance--it just seems perfect, like Bunt Stephens' "Sail Away Ladies":

All best,
Johnm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version