collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now work was made for two things - that was a fool and a mule - Peetie Wheatstraw, Confidence Man

Author Topic: Grandma Blues Master  (Read 998 times)

Offline wreid75

Grandma Blues Master
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »
I was told that John Steiner had a warped master of Grandma Blues, does anyone know if this is true?  Is there a source for this or is this just hear say?  Anyone know?  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Grandma Blues Master
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
Alex van der Tuuk's article "The Revival of Paramount in 1935" in the Frog Blues And Jazz Annual Number 1 deals with this.  Ninety five Paramount metal masters were sent to the American Record Corporation (ARC) in 1935.  According to van der Tuuk, "Although a metal mother was produced from L-415, Willie Brown's 'Grandma Blues', the metal was not returned ... probably because the master was "buckled"".  Van der Tuuk prints a list made by Bob Koester of the Paramount masters in the possession of John Steiner in 1958, and Grandma Blues is not among them.  At the end of the article, Grandma Blues is listed as one of seven "missing" Paramount masters.  From the article, it seems doubtful that Steiner ever had the master of Grandma Blues.

By the way, The Frog Blues And Jazz Annuals are really worthwhile.  Lots of good essays and lots of good pictures.  They're a bit hard to come by in the US, but you can order then direct from Frog for about half the price that you'd pay if you ordered from Amazon.  Frog is very flexible on the type of payment you can make (I used paypal), and the books ship airmail, so they arrive pretty quickly.  Contact information is on the web site: http://www.frogrecords.co.uk/   (Be aware, the email address is not on the "Contact" page, but at the end of the first article on the Frog home page.)

Offline TonyGilroy

Re: Grandma Blues Master
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:59:48 AM »

Let me endorse the praise for the Frog Annuals.

Exceptional and original research with picture quality that couldn't be bettered. No member here would regret getting copies. I'd say they were essential.

Plus good CDs.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal