collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The way that gal kill up men, the graveyard ain't got much more room - Lonnie Johnson, Low Down St. Louis Blues

Author Topic: Other Musical Interests on YouTube  (Read 71050 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Other Musical Interests on YouTube
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »
It's such a great video, I have to cross post the one I made on facebook!

Absolutely gorgeous John, beautiful music and beautiful dancers - I've now fallen in love with Eva!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
Thanks for the good words, guys.  I know what you mean, John D.  One of the things I especially like about Eva and Patricio's dancing is their tenderness and affection and flow.  It's not at all the standard-issue competition-type tango dancing, with ultra-stylized very rigid movements, no eye contact, communicating a sort of "we're horny strangers" type of message.  I love their sweetness with each other.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
I agree completely Johnm,  not showy, just very relaxed and natural - it's like being a fly on the wall, are somehow privy to an intimate moment with them.

And not to take away form your great composition Johnm, (I can report at least some video success - I ordered the CD :D ) but I assume they are dancers from the Seattle area?  And does she have a boy friend? (just kidding on that last one)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Hi John D.,
Both dancers are originally from Argentina and at the time the video was made, around 10 years ago, they both resided in Seattle and were dance instructors there.  I don't know if they're still living there, but I haven't heard otherwise.  I can probably find out.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
Slack, different dances seem to go through cycles of being popular, but the tango craze that started in the 80s just seems to get bigger and bigger, with no end in sight. I'll bet there's a teacher in El Paso who can show you enough so that when you meet Eva in person, you'll be ready.

(For a while, Port Townsend had two live tango bands, both with the same bandoleon player. It is rare for a city 20 times its size to have even one.)

Lindy

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
Lindy, I have in fact taken Argentinian dance lessons, but not many.  It was difficult to get that timing, to dance that slow, pauses etc.  I suppose I really did not get it either. 

John, I must admit I do not spend much time at all cruising youtube - but I'm sorry I've missed this video!

Well, that does it.  It's obvious I just need to move to the northwest.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Just wondering how you got that big acoustic guitar sound Johnm. Works great for the genre. What was the set up?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
I just played my acoustic guitar miked out of F in standard tuning, Mark, nothing special as I recall.  The hall had a very nice sound and it was not post-synched or dubbed in any way.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »

There are many Snooks videos on YouTube, but for my money, none better than this one:

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »

The story I heard was that a group of Kenyans were conscripted by the British army to fight in World War II, and they transferred the music normally played on 9-string lyres to the Spanish guitars they had access to. The result was something that is now called benga. The musician in this video, Olima Anditi, is from the post-WWII generation; he had some commercial success in the 60s and 70s. Similar to the way that young enthusiasts tracked down country blues players in the American South, a group of young Kenyans recently tracked down Olima.

Check out his right hand, he's holding a really large pick on his thumb, it looks like it might be connected to the pick that he's using the play the treble notes.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2012, 10:53:02 PM »
Enjoyed that a lot, thanks.

We should have a whip-round and buy him a new guitar, the fret board on that one is down to zero. But it still sounds great.

Loved the Snooks vid also, the Ray Charles of the guitar. His right hand technique is hypnotizing.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:03:36 PM by Rivers »

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »
Here's a nice ragtime guitar piece composed by Dakota Dave Hull in memory of a fine musician who died a few years back, Bill Hinkley. If I were a better guitarist, I could pick up some licks from it.

Lyle

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
Three words I never thought I'd hear in the same sentence, 'punk', 'accordioniste' and 'nuns'. Irish jigs & reels,  or maybe it's a Breton tune(?), on the street, San Francisco.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:20:38 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
Here's a nice ragtime guitar piece composed by Dakota Dave Hull in memory of a fine musician who died a few years back, Bill Hinkley. If I were a better guitarist, I could pick up some licks from it.

Thanks for posting that Lyle, real classy ragtime playing. Ragtime can be so cold, Dakota Dave puts a lot of warmth into it. I had not heard him play before.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2012, 09:36:39 PM »
We haven't had any Ryland P. Cooder for a while, here's an outstanding Tejano piece with El Flaco on accordione I found surfing the youtubes:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal