collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The chocolate tape was sliding off the reels and across the silver recording heads, while the needles on the two meters jumped to the beat on the face of the big Ampex. This was 1959 and I finally had German mics and a Cadillac of a recorder and was doing stereo - the first stereo field recordings made in the South. You should hear the recordings - for me a life's dream realized - Alan Lomax, The Land Where the Blues Began

Author Topic: Blind Willie McTell Discography  (Read 6359 times)

Offline CF

Re: Blind Willie McTell Discography
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 07:41:43 AM »
FWIW I recently bought a bunch of BWMcTell cds & boxes & now have a lot of doubled material on my hands . . . Although Snapper's new 6 Cd box set has standard liner notes & kinda annoying 'period' photos in the booklet (they apparently only got the rights to one Blind Willie photo) & on the cd slip cases (altho pretty attractive) it contains a whole lotta music for very little money (I payed less than $30.00 Canadian) & I've come to find that it contains ALL the music that is found on JSP's 1927-1940 box, Columbia's 'Definitive' 2 Cd set (which has some tunes JSP doesn't have) & all the songs found on 'Pig & Whistle Red'
PLUS an alternate take of 'Broke Down Engine No.2', 4-5 great Curley Weaver tracks from a '35 session with BWMcTell on 2nd guitar (I believe) & some extra tracks from the 'Pig & Whistle' sessions . . . meaning it is complete Willie (as far as I know) up to 1949/50 . . . 'Atlanta 12 String' & 'Last Sessions' & the 2 newly discovered songs on the 2008 Tefteller Calendar would round out his complete works . . .
The Snapper has full discographal notes & the sound is good to my ears altho' I may recall some skipping on certain songs in my half-drunken sleepy listenings, will have to relisten & report back 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline CF

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 09:00:14 PM »
Relistening to the first CD of the set today confirmed that there are some glitches in at least my copy of the Snapper box set . . . There are no marks on the Cd but several of the songs have sudden loud, non-source static & 'Talkin' To Myself' & 'Razor Ball' even skip at one point each . . . the kind of noises I've heard on cheap Cds before . . . luckily, i have several copies of the glitchy songs so it's not the end of the world but buyer beware perhaps . . . Anybody else here bought this set & noticed these glitches? Still, a really cheap set & closer inspection shows that the set was compiled by Paul Swinton & Russell Beecher . . .
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
Anybody else here bought this set & noticed these glitches? Still, a really cheap set & closer inspection shows that the set was compiled by Paul Swinton & Russell Beecher . . .
Beecher was one of the original owners of the Catfish enterprise.

boots

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 12:02:59 PM »
I bought this set and the tracks are misaligned on discs 5 & 6 and so won't import into iTunes.
I e-mailed them complaining about this a received an automated out-of-office reply suggesting two other people to ask. I forwarded it and failed to get a reply. So Snapper Music no longer exists for me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal