collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
White people have no business playing the blues ever, at all, under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f--- do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of khakis? - George Carlin

Author Topic: Regal Fake resonator guitar  (Read 8414 times)

Offline BottleneckJohn

• Northern heart, Southern soul..
    • Acoustic Blues & Spirituals
Re: Regal Fake resonator guitar
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:30 AM »
Cool instruments, and an "important" piece of reso-history, haha!
I mean, these were the low, low end guitars for those who couldn't afford the real deal.. Talk about blues..  ;)

Mid-30's, no-name, I'm guessing it's made by Regal, Chicago

They can actually be used also, I tried mine at a gig this summer it worked well, it could be heard!!!!
Played along with a fiddle and a mandolin and the faux-bro cut through..  :D

LmoL, there nothing at all under the coverplate, just silver paint on the top!!!!!!
Surprisingly cool tone though, looong sustain but less bass and low volume compared to any "real reso"..

Hmmm... It can be done!  >:D

Sounding like this:
"All Around Man" - Re-release on vinyl LP in April 2015!!
http://www.bottleneckjohn.com/newcd.htm
BJ

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 07:17:32 AM »
Hi B-John, I've seen your guitars and videos on some other forums..I'd posted photos of the two black Dobro's a few weeks back in your Dobro thread. 
Just wanted to comment on the faux-resonator.  A few weeks back at the Philly guitar show, a dealer down the row showed me a faux-resonator that he had converted to a real resonator and boy, did that ever sing..sounded like a National El Trovador.  The guitar began as a plywood, big bodied 'Le Domino' (had the cool dice markings), and the faux part was removed and a sound well built to hold an old National cone.  A pleasure to play and hear, so it can be done!
Regards, Tom

Offline BottleneckJohn

• Northern heart, Southern soul..
    • Acoustic Blues & Spirituals
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »
Tom!  :)

That's good to hear, been thinking of doing a modification and build the soundwell and put the cone in there..
But I also feel that it's cool to keep it in original condition, especially since it's in such a nice shape!

Can't decide, time will tell, LoL!!
"All Around Man" - Re-release on vinyl LP in April 2015!!
http://www.bottleneckjohn.com/newcd.htm
BJ

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal