collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
[Bull City] Red pulled his hat down over his eyes and said to her, "Cora Mae [Fuller's wife], I didn't get but one letter from you when I was in Virginia." To which [Blind Boy] Fuller replied, "Well, that was one too many." - Bull City Red, from an article about Richard Trice by David Menconi in the Raleigh [NC] News and Observer, 24Jun98

Author Topic: Down the Staff  (Read 1264 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Down the Staff
« on: May 17, 2006, 02:57:19 PM »
Hi Cheapfeet -

My understanding of it is that it was called 'A' Down the Staff. I'm not sure who the source of this name was, although without checking I'd guess Son House. Willie Brown is playing that accompaniment to Moon Going Down out of an A position, hence the name I presume. I could be completely wrong though.

Offline Dr. G

Down the Staff
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »
Thanks for this, Cheapfeet.

I've been screwing up the courage recently to venture into "Moon Gong Down", and you have very kindly greased the skids for me...wasn't quite sure where to dig in...

Offline Doc Brainerd

Down the Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 08:22:29 AM »
Moon Gong Down!...that's my favorite Vietnamese dish! ;D
DB

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Down the Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »
My understanding of it is that it was called 'A' Down the Staff. I'm not sure who the source of this name was, although without checking I'd guess Son House. Willie Brown is playing that accompaniment to Moon Going Down out of an A position, hence the name I presume. I could be completely wrong though.

You are completely right actually. Son has a version on Father of the Delta Blues, The Complete 1965 Sessions, Columbia Legacy double CD. Just happened to be ripping it to iTunes when I saw this thread. Solo, National w/vocals.

What was the question again? Can I play that riff? Well I'll certainly give it a go! It's a good one. Son plays it all the way through the song, not being tempted to vary it much which is one way to differentiate a tune I guess. Very economical player that Son House, I'm from the 'kitchen sink' school of playing having a short attention span.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal