collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Had all that cork on our face... made us look even blacker... shit, painted our mouths white... made 'em look big... I had to have a shot of liquor before the show. If I didn't it seemed like I couldn't be funny in front of all them people. When I had one it seemed like them people was one and I would throw up the banjo in the air and really put on a show. - Gus Cannon, on performing with Dr. Stokey's Medicine Show in Clarksdale, Mississippi

Author Topic: Memphis Country Blues Festival from the 1960s  (Read 800 times)

Offline harriet

Memphis Country Blues Festival from the 1960s
« on: December 11, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
I don't know if other members have heard this. It has a free player with some great performances including 2! Joe Callicott, others - the blurb is:

"We celebrate the rich musical history of Memphis during the 1960s by focusing on some of the Blues legends who were still an active part of the scene -- such as Bukka White, Furry Lewis, Gus Cannon, and Will Shade -- plus... we'll hear classic selections from the legendary 1968 Memphis Country Blues Festival. Read the full description."

http://www.prx.org/pieces/62556-blues-unlimited-119-memphis-country-blues-from#description

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:16:26 AM by harriet »

Offline jostber

Re: Memphis Country Blues Festival from the 1960s
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »
Will check out this! Always great to hear some Robert Wilkins I have not heard. Thanks for the link!

Offline harriet

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
The Wilkins cut of "What Do You Think About Jesus" I heard was fantastic - he was playing with his sons and really rocks it.

And there a bunch more stuff I didn't see before  like 2 hour programs of Chicago slide greats, a look at the Bluebird Label, Great Gospel Preachers, Piano Blues, Delta Blues, special section on Son House, Mandolin.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:29:14 PM by harriet »

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
The Wilkins cut of "What Do You Think About Jesus" I heard was fantastic - he was playing with his sons and really rocks it.

Simply put, I've long considered this one particular recording the most amazing, scintillating "blues revival" recording I've ever heard....and it's full-blown call-and-response gospel.

There's a low-fi video of this recording from Memphis '68 that I've seen before floating around on the internet a few years ago, though I can't find it now.

And of course, this recording turned up on the Blue Horizon CD reissue from just 5 years ago or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Memphis-Country-Blues-Bukka-White/dp/B000FL7BK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386979946&sr=8-1&keywords=bukka+white+and+the+memphis+country

Offline peanut

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
Somewhere I have a copy of the original Blue Horizon vinyl album. Blue Horizon also released a series of albums around the same time by country blues artists including Furry Lewis, Joe Callicot, Roosevelt Holts, Bukka White and Larry Johnson                                                                                                   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal