collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Help us in our distress - Blind Willie Johnson, God Moves On The Water

Author Topic: Robert Pete Williams  (Read 1304 times)

Offline zerobob

• Howdy!
Robert Pete Williams
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »
can anyone tell me what tuning he is in for this blues, i dont know if its standard or open but im doubt its standard, i think is in the key of Bb so could he be in open Bb?? any information about this mans style and tunings would be good thanks

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Robert Pete Williams
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »
Hi zerobob,
He is in A in standard tuning.  If it's pitched at B flat, he's tuned a half-step high.
all best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:31:09 PM by Johnm »

Offline zerobob

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:31:14 AM »
thanks i was pick around and found out it was a position

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »
I should say, too, that one of the many distinctive things about Robert Pete Williams' playing is that he free-handed everything.  In other words, instead of fingering chords and playing the melodic lines and riffs he could access from the chordal positions like most Country Blues players, he went for the individual notes he wanted, without using chordal positions as a grounding basis for his left hand.  Until he plays the long A chord that concludes the piece, he does not play a single three note chord in the course of its 9:24 length.  He plays a partial A minor with the second fret of the third string and the first fret of the second string a lot, and he occasionally does an E minor partial, fretting the seventh fret of the fifth string and the fifth fret of the fourth string, but that is it as far as anything goes that could be construed as a chord in the left hand is concerned.  Because he was most often fretting only one or two notes at a time in the left hand, his hand was more free to inflect the notes he did play.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:42:10 PM by Johnm »

Offline zerobob

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
what about the slide at 1:15 is that a 5 chord change?

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
what about the slide at 1:15 is that a 5 chord change?

more like the other two -note chordlets he uses in other parts of the song (a double stop consistingof e and g) , except that this one gets a little added weight from the bass register and the additional octave from the 6th string. it's not quite a chord,  but your ear fills in the blanks well enough and interprets the move as "V". cool.

edited to add: i like to think of rpw 's playing as neither confirming nor denying chords and chord changes - deliberately ambiguous in that regard.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »
Yup, I agree with what you say, Frank, and would only add that he often implies a chord change simply by hitting the root.  This is especially true of movement to the IV chord in the piece on the video.
All best,
Johnm

Offline zerobob

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
cool!! this guys style is amazing

Offline jostber

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
Some wonderful playing by Robert Pete on this one, as always the deep blues spirit was in his music. :)

Offline whigski3

• Hi!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 01:27:55 AM »

I was strongly moved when I heard RPW play this on a "blues collection" CD I have--I had to hear more!

It's great to see the video of his playing and to read the comments that more knowledgable players and listeners have made.

Thanks!
Bill Whig
I'm sitting here wondering, will a matchbox hold my clothes...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal