collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't no springman, nor no springman's son, I can work yo' bedsprings 'till yo' springman come - Bo Carter, "All Around Man"

Author Topic: SOTM Septemberr 2021  (Read 684 times)

Offline Devils Son Inlaw

• Howdy!
SOTM Septemberr 2021
« on: September 08, 2021, 05:46:34 AM »

Sorry if I'm out of line here but being a newby to the forum I've been searching through old posts and really digging some of what I'm finding.  Some Daddy Hotcakes for September!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: SOTM Septemberr 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
Hi Devils Son Inlaw,
Thanks for posting the Daddy Hotcakes track. Traditionally, Songs of the Month have been "Blues Standards" that many players have recorded versions of, rather than one-offs, like this song. There is a thread in the "Down The Dirt Road" board, entitled "Interesting Country Blues related video clips" where a one-off like this song might be a better fit.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Devils Son Inlaw

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 04:59:16 AM »
I see that now John, thanks for the heads up!!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 06:02:50 AM »
No problem, Devils Son Inlaw--sometimes you've got to read a lot before the idea behind a feature and the guidelines around it become clear. The idea for a Song of the Month came from a member, frankie, who suggested it with the idea of starting a thread on a song each month (or less often) that had been recorded by a lot of players, and seeing how different folks sang and played the song. If each poster limited himself/herself to adding just one or two previously unposted versions of the song to the thread, it would encourage more folks to participate. We actually kept posting new songs every month for a few years, but eventually ran out of steam, as well as obvious song candidates. Nowadays, people post a song just when the spirit moves them, but the idea of choosing songs with lots of recorded versions and seeing a thread grow as people add other versions has persisted.
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal