collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I believe you got ways like a passenger train, when one gettin' off the other one gettin' on - Blind Boy Fuller, Passenger Train Woman

Author Topic: Mississippi John Hurt Foundation  (Read 1128 times)

Offline MJH Foundation

• Much obliged.
Mississippi John Hurt Foundation
« on: March 12, 2015, 07:38:13 AM »
Guys, this has been in the works for a long time.

For those who don't know, the non-profit Mississippi John Hurt Foundation was established in 1999 by Mary Frances Hurt, Mississippi John's granddaughter. She works tirelessly to preserve her Granddad's legacy, including the operation of the MJH Museum in Avalon, MS, and organizing a variety of music education outreach programs for disadvantaged youth.

The Mississippi John Hurt Foundation now maintains an online presence at www.mississippijohnhurtfoundation.org, and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/johnhurtfoundation

Of particular interest on the main Foundation page is our archive, which contains PDF files and transcriptions of rare printed material about John Hurt from his rediscovery, all generously donated by Mary Frances Hurt.

Here, you can also find out more about the annual Mississippi John Hurt Music Festival, and the preservation efforts we are making regarding John's home, the Valley Store, and the St. James Church, all familiar places to MJH fans!

John Hurt's legacy is in the hands of musicians and fans like you who continue to be inspired by his music and humble nature. Please take the time to explore our website and like us on Facebook. New information for fans is available on an almost daily basis. We hope you will become active participants on FB and on our Forum, and we hope most of all to see you Labor Day weekend for the Mississippi John Hurt Music Festival in Avalon, MS.

Don't hesitate to contact us with questions, concerns, or ideas.

Thank you!

Samuel W. Ellis
swellis@live.com
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:00:40 AM by MJH Foundation »

Offline colm kill paul

Re: Mississippi John Hurt Foundation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:07:07 AM »
Samuel,

Thanks for posting this. I checked out the website and it is great. I was surprised (& delighted) to see some shots and footage of myself at the 2012 MJH Music Festival. That was a terrific afternoon largely due to Art Browning's (R.I.P.) generousity and enthusiasm. I was lucky to be there. It is his guitar I'd played when sitting among the trees.

Colm

Offline MJH Foundation

• Much obliged.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 02:17:35 PM »
Colm,

We hope to maybe see you again out there soon! It's taken two of us, myself and John Ek, to even come close to filling Mr. Browning's shoes. You may have met John, he was there in 2012. My first festival was 2013, and playing for Mary Frances at John's grave site was the honor of my life. My only regret is having not met Art.

We've still got a long way to go! Hence reaching out to fans on here. Keep in touch with us, we have a lot planned, and we keep managing to find new treasures to post. Mary Frances is an inspiration, just like her Grandfather!

We're working on a Tribute page to Mr. Browning for the main Foundation site. If you have any reminiscences of him you'd like to share, please PM them to me. We'd be very grateful and excited to share them.

Thanks again for your post!

Sam
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:22:26 PM by MJH Foundation »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
Sam, good on you and keep up the good work.

Colm, as always, you get the 'Best Dressed' award. Like you, I always try to travel through Mississippi with spray starch and a trouser press.

Rivers.

Offline MJH Foundation

• Much obliged.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
Rivers,

Thank you for the kind words! I'd also like to share a link to our Donations page.

http://www.mississippijohnhurtfoundation.org/donate.html

Paypal information is on the linked page, and all donations are tax deductible. 100% of the proceeds go directly to the Mississippi John Hurt Foundation and will aid in providing much needed repairs to the MJH Museum, support for the MJH Music Festival, and the development of more engaging online content. For inquiries, I will include a link to our contact page as well. Don't hesitate to ask us any questions.

http://www.mississippijohnhurtfoundation.org/contact.html

Please take this time to contribute to the legacy of Mississippi John Hurt! We will graciously accept any and all donations. Check out the site, we're always looking for contributions, content included. If you feel so inclined, share these links with other fans of MJH.

Thank you, or as John would say "Much obliged!"

Samuel W. Ellis
swellis@live.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal