collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Flying isn't the hard part, landing in the net is - Mario Zacchini, Human Cannonball

Author Topic: Bo Carter.  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Bo Carter.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »
I agree with you, dj.  I've never considered it certain that Sam and Charley Patton had the same father.  It may be, too, that at that time and place, the "look" that Bo and Charley shared was not all that uncommon, with a fair amount of intermingling of white, black and native Americans.
All best,
Johnm

Cooljack

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
Wow I've never seen that photo before, I thought the only Mississippi Sheiks one available was the one with the three of them stood together.

I managed to find all of Bo Carters recordings through Document + Emusic, I would say that he is my favorate solo artist of the 1930's by far.

Offline Rambler

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »
I was not familiar with Bo until this year, but that was corrected thanks to exposue at shows from Paul Rishell and Frank Fotusky.  His stuff is fun to play-- all those nice partial chords up the neck.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
I have the double cd set (36 tracks) on Classic Blues, called Bo Carter the Essential. Are there any opinions on this set? I love the music and playing. How does it sound compared to the Documents? Any insights would be greatly apprpeciated.

RJ

Cooljack

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 02:52:53 PM »
If Im not mistaken you have this cd set?

It's a document release so all the songs in theory should sound the same, though i would recommend getting the full document five volumes as then you can make your own assertion on his music, most other CD compilations are too inadequate in my opinion when concerning Bo Carter. The worst one was one in my opinion was released on Itunes which had some poor remastering called "Pussy Cat Blues"  (which funnily enough had the title censored to "P***Y Cat Blues")

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 11:08:11 AM »
Yes, Cooljack, thats the one I have. I think it sounds really great. I will check out the other Documents as you suggest. Thanks a lot for your insight.

RJ

Offline Eldergreene

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
Not too long ago, I emailed JSP records asking if they had any plans for a BC issue, but they said no - I'm kinda surprised, since I figure he's up there with the McTells, Fullers, etc, & easily warrants a boxset,IMO; maybe if a few others pestered them?..

Offline CF

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 08:17:08 AM »
Yeah I'd buy a JSP Bo Carter complete set in a New York minute . . .
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Cooljack

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »
Yeah I'd also love to see a JSP Bo Carter Box set, and a mississippi sheiks one as a matter of fact

Offline outfidel

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 11:38:14 AM »
Bo Carter & Robert Wilkins are two guys that I got into specifically because John Miller had done lessons on them. I figured, if they're good enough for John, they're good enough for me.
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline jopoke

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »
I've never seen the photo of Bo with his guitar on the cover of that set. Bunker???

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
I've never seen the photo of Bo with his guitar on the cover of that set. Bunker???
New to me too. I note that Neil Slaven compiled and annotated it so I'll ask him if he knows the provenance.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »
It's new to me, too, but it's obvious that it has been in circulation long enough to have served as the basis of the cover to the "Essential Bo Carter" CD shown earlier in this thread.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 02:24:40 AM »
The photo of Bo standing with his guitar featured on the front of the new JSP boxset has been published before,if my mind serves me correctly.I think it was in the book"Nothing but the Blues" Edited by Lawrence Cohn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal