collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I saw my family doctor, said I had a big tapeworm. Said I had ate a cow, made me good and firm - Me And My Tapeworm, Sylvester Weaver 1927

Author Topic: Blues at the Steamboat Tavern, Ipswich 18th February.  (Read 1097 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Blues at the Steamboat Tavern, Ipswich 18th February.
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »
I'm playing guitar behind the wonderful Jerimiah Marques (as well as slipping a few of my own numbers in) on Friday. This promises to be a jumping evening of downhome blues at this lively venue the Far East of the UK.

For those that don't know of Jeri, it's well worth a look on Youtube to see his performances with his regular electric band.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Blues at the Steamboat Tavern, Ipswich 18th February.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Good luck with that Phil.  Shame I don't live that way anymore.

Steamboat is a well regarded venue- during my short stint in a band, we were always hoping for a gig there- so congrats!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »
Break a leg!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »
Go for it, bit of a trek though?
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Yes R, it's a fair way so I'm putting up for the night in Ipswich. Would have been ok there and back (100 miles each way)  but I've got a viral sore throat.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »
Hope it goes well.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
Would have been ok there and back (100 miles each way)  but I've got a viral sore throat.

That's very reassuring, clearly the metric system is taking a while to catch on in Blighty. I always hated it, thought it was a mistake at the time, and it's great to now live in a place where it's all still proudly feet, inches, miles, pounds, etc.

As a diver, looking at my gauges, '100 feet' always had a certain frisson that '30 meters' never seemed to have and made me focus more on important stuff. Anyway sorry to veer off topic by a few feet.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »
Still have miles, still have pints for beer (real one's, one eighth of a proper gallon, not some colonial short measure).

In fact the journey worked out ay near to 100kliks, not miles, as the satnav forgot the downstream tunnel/bridge link.

The gig went pretty well considering the minimal preparation, my virus, and the fact that the harp player was nearly an hour late after being stuck on the road for 2 hours. Most people had only heard Jeri Marques in an electric band setting, we played about 80% acoustic, with a set from Leroy Carr, via Tampa Red, Son House and Sleepy John to Muddy and Wolf. This was very well received and we had many nice comments.

Upshot is that more gigs in this format are coming through. I'll try and get some video of the next one.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal