collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hambone Willie Newbern wasn't as well thought of in the area as maybe he should have been... when Yank's mother heard he'd traded the pig for a mandolin she said 'Well, that's OK son, this winter, when we're all eating meat, you can eat that mandolin' - Yank Rachell, as told by Steve James, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Mistreatin mama  (Read 678 times)

Offline Laura

Mistreatin mama
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:26:31 AM »
I thought I'd better record this one before my neighbours call the landlord.  John M helped me out a lot with this one - sorry to say I haven't got those parts you worked out for me quite there yet.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Mistreatin mama
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:39 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »
Lovely!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:06:04 AM »
Nice job, Laura!  And you sure aren't taking the easy way out with the tempo, that is rocking along.  Nice singing too, as usual.  Way to go!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
I like it!  8)
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:03:02 AM »
That's great.  That signature lick is smooth, clean and quick- and the voice is growing too.

Excellent stuff

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »
Really, really good. I like the way you're breaking up the timing of the changes, going long sometimes. I love that effect (speaking as a listener, and also a player), it really helps to distinguish a song and is exactly what many of the greats in our chosen genre would do.

You could still try yelling a bit. I'd like to hear you channel, say, Memphis Minnie's vocal style. You have a great voice, please feel free to go ahead and use it more, try it out on us, we are a very supportive audience. If it goes over the top we'll let you know!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:31:15 PM by Rivers »

Offline Laura

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »
Oops I forgot to come back to this...Many thanks for your comments.  I am enjoying Furry Lewis so much recently and I'm getting to a point where I no longer need to read the music to remember whole songs which is good, makes playing so much more enjoyable!

Disappointed with the quality of the recording - It seems my microphone has given up and although it was plugged in, it was recording straight through the device  >:( Ugh more money to spend!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »
I would try cleaning the jack plug & socket first. Electrical cleaner, or denatured alcohol from the chemist for the plug. For the socket, try this, it seems like a good idea, haven't tried it myself: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Clean-a-18-3.5mm-Headphone-Jack/.

Offline shaw

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
That was very nice, really fine playing!

Tags: Furry Lewis 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal